Eco clearance norms for coastal police stations easedDecember 17th, 2008 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 17 (IANS) As part of the security overhaul following the Mumbai terror attacks, the government Wednesday eased the environmental clearance norms to enable speedy setting up of coastal police stations.“It has been decided to consider these police stations under the category of projects requiring waterfront. These coastal police stations are required for defence policing and vigilance purposes in coastal areas whose nature of work required special consideration,” said a release from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Coastal security is under focus as 10 terrorists, who struck Mumbai Nov 26, arrived in the city using the sea route.
Two years back, the home ministry launched the coastal security scheme with an outlay of Rs.4 billion ($80.6 million) for strengthening arrangements to check infiltration in nine coastal states.
The scheme envisaged 73 marine costal police stations, 97 checkposts that would be equipped 204 boats, 153 jeeps and 312 motorcycles.
But, progress in realising this scheme has been slow and states have yet to train the marine police.
The blueprint also envisaged a police force to guard the shores and creeks along Maharashtra’s 720-km long waterfront, but it is yet to be acted upon.
- 73 coastal police stations to be set up for enhancing security: Govt. - Feb 22, 2011
- 'These terrorists were prepared to kill and be killed' - Nov 29, 2008
- Indian Coastal security strengthened - Dec 16, 2010
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011
- Coastal security up after 26/11, says Chidambaram - Oct 27, 2010
- Containers at ports pose security threat: Navy official - Jan 21, 2011
- Whither Marine Police? Mumbai attack spotlights vulnerability - Nov 29, 2008
- Significant progress made for coastal security of the country since 26/11: Chidambaram - Oct 27, 2010
- Coastal security is Centre's highest priority: Antony - Nov 25, 2009
- Coast Guard defending India's shores with depleted assets - Dec 03, 2008
- Maharashtra demands central aid to modernize police force - Feb 01, 2011
- Coast guard lacks teeth to defend India's coast: CAG (Lead) - Aug 05, 2011
- Antony inaugurates Maharashtra cluster of coast surveillance system - Aug 25, 2012
- Five speedboats to boost Maharashtra's coastal security - Sep 19, 2010
- No blind support to corporates, says Andhra police chief - Dec 30, 2011