EC to send three special observers to review poll preparedness in GujaratNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:34 am ICT by admin
They will also supervise poll preparedness and conduct a revision of electoral rolls.
Another team of EC officials is also arriving in Gujarat next week to oversee poll readiness in Baroda, Surat and Ahmedabad.
The EC on Friday posted senior IPS officer S K Saikia as Ahmedabad’s new Commissioner of Police and appointed G S Malik as the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) border range.
Earlier, it had posted senior IAS officer Mamta Verma as the new Collector of Gandhinagar, replacing Sonal Mishra, who was earlier shifted along with six other senior officials.
Six other senior officials are Ahmedabad Police Commissioner J Mahapatra, Deputy Inspector General of Police (Border Range) I M Desai, Superintendent of Police (Patan) J N Rajgor, SP (Rajkot) N D Solanki, SP (Tapi) S K Gadhavi and Collector of Valsad D H Brahmbhatt.
The EC had ordered the appointment of K R Kaushik as new Director General of Police (DGP) of Gujarat.
Kaushik ’s appointment was made after the ECI on Monday ordered the transfer of DGP P C Pande, ahead of the State Assembly elections, which is scheduled to be held in December.
The EC had directed that none of the eight would be posted at any place where there was any election-related work.
The electoral process for the 12th State Assembly will begin from November 15, and state electorate will cast their votes on December 11 and December 16.
Counting of votes for the 182-member State Assembly will take place on December 23.
The Bharatiya Janata Party managed to win 127 seats, while the Congress party was able to win only 51 seats in the 2002 assembly polls.
The Janata Dal (United) and independents won two seats each. (ANI)
- Poll panel announces Tamil Nadu observers - Mar 30, 2011
- Election Commission appoints new Gujarat police chief - Nov 14, 2007
- Anil Kaushik is new Punjab top cop - Sep 30, 2011
- Poll panel orders watch on former Punjab cop's activities - Nov 13, 2011
- Poll panel asks Punjab to monitor two officers - Aug 25, 2011
- Election Commission transfers Gujarat police chief - Nov 14, 2007
- Poll panel to review preparations in West Bengal - Mar 21, 2011
- All eyes on Lambi as Punjab heads for assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Election Commission is winner in Punjab polls (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 04, 2012
- Election panel action against Ashok Chavan stayed - Nov 03, 2011
- Rs.120 mn cash, illicit liquor seized in poll-bound Punjab - Dec 31, 2011
- Poll panel transfers 18 Punjab officials - Dec 27, 2011
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
- Punjab poll have something 'official' about it! - Jan 20, 2012
- Bengal voter slips to carry photos - Feb 24, 2011