Easter being celebrated all over IndiaApril 12th, 2009 - 12:18 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 12 (ANI): Easter is being celebrated in different parts of the country today.
In New Delhi, churches held sunrise service early morning on the occasion. Special services and masses have also been arranged for the day.
In Goa, Easter Sunday is being celebrated with great joy and enthusiasm. Mass and prayers have been organised to mark the day.
Goa Governor Dr. Shivinder Singh Sidhu, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat and Archbishop of Goa and Daman Rev. Filipe Neri Ferrao have greeted the people on the occasion.
In Kerala, the State Government has opened special Easter Vishu markets to control the price rise.
All most all the churches in Kerala conduct midnight masses on Easter Day.
The mood of thousands of devotees was lit in prayers and rituals at St. Mary’s Basilica Cardinal mar varkey vithyathil and St. Thomas Jacobite Church near Kochi.
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh greeted the people on the occasion.
In his message, Dr. Singh said: “The universal significance of Christ’s resurrection is that truth triumphs over evil and love is stronger than hatred. Easter celebrates compassion and brotherhood and the hope of a better tomorrow.”
“May the celebrations strengthen the bonds of unity and fellowship among citizens,” he added.
Christians celebrate Easter in remembrance of the resurrection of Jesus Christ who died for humanity in the cross on Good Friday.
This day also marks the end of fifty days lent period and fasting by avoiding meat and other luxury items.
As per the holy Bible, Jesus Christ went through a period of physical and emotional torture for about 16 hours before death.
In addition, he was forced to carry the hard and heavy cross throughout the way. It is already noted that Jesus died on cross at 3:00 p.m. on April 15, 30 A.D and raised from death on April 17.
The Lenten fasting starts with Ash Wednesday. The main preparation of Easter starts one week prior to it with Palm Sunday.
- Capital celebrates Easter with fun, fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- With prayers, feasts, Delhi celebrates Easter - Apr 08, 2012
- Good Friday observed with prayers and fast - Apr 22, 2011
- Meghalaya celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Kerala Christians observe Palm Sunday - Apr 17, 2011
- Kerala Christians observe Passion Week - Apr 01, 2012
- Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lenten Season - Feb 22, 2012
- Delhi observes Good Friday with fasting and prayers - Apr 06, 2012
- Goa archbishop quotes from Vedas in pre-New Year address - Dec 30, 2010
- Kerala celebrates Easter with fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Easter egg prices soar, but fervour spreads in Goa - Apr 23, 2011
- Easter celebrated in Kerala - Apr 04, 2010
- With marzipan and cake, Mumbai celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Easter celebrated with prayers in northeast India - Apr 04, 2010
- Prayers, elaborate feasts mark Easter in Delhi - Apr 04, 2010
Tags: ash wednesday, bible jesus, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, easter day, heavy cross, holy bible, jacobite church, kamat, lenten fasting, luxury items, manmohan singh, palm sunday, resurrection of jesus, resurrection of jesus christ, sidhu, sunrise service, universal significance, varkey, vishu