Early morning votes for Goa Lok Sabha bypolls witness low turnoutNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:09 am ICT by admin
An official from state electoral office said polling was bereft of any queues. In last three-and-a-half hours, hardly 10 to 15 per cent polling is registered.
A total of 5,60,898 voters, including 2,79,338 females, are expected to cast their votes till 5 p.m.
The Congress Party’s Fransisco Sardinha and the BJP’s Dr Wilfred mesquite are directly locked in a fight for the seat.
The other independent candidates Jawahar Dias and Hamja Khan are also in the fray.
The polling is being held on 590 polling booths, out of which, 65 have been declared as ’sensitive’.
Catholic-dominated Salcette, which will determine the winning candidate, has largest number of sensitive polling booths compared to rest of the talukas in the constituency.
Salcette has 31 sensitive polling booths while Ponda has 9, Mormugao has 18, Sanguem and Quepem has 4.
The election is being conducted on electronic voting machines (EVMs).
Six companies of the central para-military forces and about 1,500 local police have been deployed to maintain law and order situation.
Two general observers and one expenditure observer is on duty to see that the elections are held in a free, fair and peaceful manner.
According to officials, 95 area officers and 21 sector officers have been pressed into service in different areas.
The counting will be held on November 3. (ANI)
- By-poll underway for South Goa Lok Sabha seat - Nov 14, 2007
- Counting of votes for Mormugao LS bypoll begins - Nov 14, 2007
- Goa skips siesta to vote, turnout over 80 percent (Night Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Additional security for Manipur re-poll - Feb 03, 2012
- Congress wins Mormugao LS bypoll seat - Nov 14, 2007
- Over 60 percent polling in Mandu bypoll - Nov 30, 2011
- Peacefull re-polling in Manipur - Feb 04, 2012
- BJP announces poll alliance with MGP in Goa - Feb 05, 2012
- Trinamool in Goa like mushroom in monsoon: Congress - Feb 13, 2012
- Nominations begin for Tamil Nadu Assembly polls - Mar 19, 2011
- Re-poll peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Peaceful voting in fourth round of West Bengal polls (Third Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Polling reaches 60 percent in Goa - Mar 03, 2012
- Goa skips siesta to vote, as high as 80 percent (Evening Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Election Commission disqualifies 17 candidates in Assam - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: 898, bereft, bjp, congress party, dr wilfred, electronic voting machines, evms, independent candidates, jawahar, Lok Sabha, peaceful manner, polling booths, sardinha, six companies, state electoral office