E. Sreedharan’s endeavours too good to accept his resignation: CMJuly 13th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 13 (ANI): Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday said that Delhi Metro chief E.Sreedharan’s resignation was not accepted by her government because his endeavours to establish the Metro Rail system in the capital have helped in providing relief to the people in Delhi.
Delhi Metro Railway Corporation (DMRC) chief E Sreedharan had offered to resign from his post, taking up moral responsibility of an under construction Metro bridge collapse, which claimed six lives and left many injured on Sunday.
“We have rejected his resignation because metro is such an infrastructural work which is very important for Delhi. Metro has not only provided relief to the people of Delhi but also it is pride for the capital city as well. The credit of building metro on time and looking after its construction and implementation goes to him only. That’s why I have not accepted his resignation,” said Sheila Dikshit at a book release function on Monday.
Meanwhile, E. Sreedharan visited the Metro accident site in order to measure the damage on Monday (July 13).
The accident caused a literal flooding in the area since a pillar fell on the main pipeline of filtered water.
Meanwhile, a day after a Metro Rail bridge collapse caused six deaths in South Delhi’s Zamrudpur area, a launcher turned upside down, injuring six persons.
The incident took place when two to three cranes were lifting the huge girder at the site suddenly toppled over due to heavy weight of the launcher and crumbled down, causing everyone standing by rush to safe place.
There was nearly a stampede at the incident site.
The inured were taken to the All India Medical Institute of Sciences (AIIMS).
The area had been cordoned off as a preventive measure.
E.Sreedharan visited the place of incident on Monday. (ANI)
- E. Sreedharan resigns as Delhi Metro chief after accident - Jul 12, 2009
- Delhi Metro chief inspects site of accident that killed six - Jul 13, 2009
- Over 100 workers killed during Delhi metro construction since 1998 - Sep 03, 2010
- Rain hampers debris clearing at Metro accident site (Lead) - Jul 15, 2009
- 'Metro Man' Sreedharan withdraws resignation, Dikshit welcomes (Lead) - Jul 13, 2009
- Delhi Metro to finish phase II before Commonwealth Games: Sreedharan - Jul 28, 2009
- Another Delhi Metro mishap leaves six injured - Jul 13, 2009
- Six killed in Delhi Metro's worst accident, Sreedharan resigns (Intro Roundup) - Jul 12, 2009
- Delhi Metro chief Sreedharan withdraws resignation - Jul 13, 2009
- Delhi Metro orders independent safety audit for Phase II works - Jul 14, 2009
- Metro Rail pillar falls on auto-rickshaw, injures two in Delhi's Sarita Vihar - Mar 24, 2010
- Commuter of Metro train in Delhi fearful after tragic incidents - Jul 14, 2009
- Second Delhi Metro accident injures six, Sreedharan stays (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2009
- Five killed in Delhi Metro's worst accident, Sreedharan resigns (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2009
- 'Metro man' Sreedharan resigns after span collapse kills 5 (Lead) - Jul 12, 2009
Tags: bridge collapse, chief minister, delhi delhi, delhi metro, dmrc, endeavours, filtered water, girder, heavy weight, medical institute, metro bridge, metro chief, metro rail, metro railway, moral responsibility, preventive measure, rail bridge, railway corporation, sheila dikshit, south delhi