Dukakis accuses McCain of race-baiting tacticsSeptember 24th, 2008 - 1:20 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sept.24 (ANI): Former Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis has accused Republican presidential candidate John McCain of promoting race-baiting tactics against his Democratic opponent Barack Obama.
Dukakis had an ominous warning for Barack Obama Don”t forget Willie Horton.
In an interview with PolitickerMA.com, Dukakis claimed the McCain camp is using the same tactics that sunk his presidential campaign in 1988.
“The same thing is happening this year,” the New York Daily News quoted him, as saying.
He was referring to a recent McCain Campaign ad that claimed Obama got advice from Franklin Raines, a former CEO of the recently bailed out mortgage giant Fannie Mae.
The ad intersperses images of Obama and Raines, both African Americans, with an image of an old white woman.
“Why did they pick that person from Fannie Mae?” Dukakis asked rhetorically.
The now infamous ”Willie Horton” ad spotlighted convicted murderer Horton, who was released as part of a weekend furlough program Dukakis had supported.
While free, Horton raped a white woman, the TV spot explained.
When it ran, George H.W. Bush was trailing in the polls, but the ad succeeding in portraying the Democrat as soft on crime, a critical issue in the election.
“You have to be very careful with race. For us on the outside, we can point it out,” Dukakis said. (ANI)
- Romney creates history in clinching Republican nomination (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Mitt Romney clinches Republican nomination - May 30, 2012
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in a movie - Mar 10, 2011
- US must support India's Security Council bid: McCain (Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- Trump not a "serious" presidential candidate: Republican senator McCain - May 02, 2011
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- Over six in 10 Florida white voters inspired by Obama's win despite lingering racism - Sep 14, 2010
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- Obama, Romney locked in close race: polls - Aug 25, 2012
- John McCain endorses Mitt Romney - Jan 05, 2012
- I'd consider a post in the Obama Administration, says Arnie - Dec 19, 2010
- Meghan McCain Writes On 'Dirty Sexy Politics' - Sep 01, 2010
- Obama playing the race card: McCain Camp - Aug 01, 2008
- US senator meets Kashmir governor, chief minister - Aug 17, 2011
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: barack obama, critical issue, democratic opponent, fannie mae, franklin raines, furlough, george h w bush, governor michael dukakis, john mccain, massachusetts governor, mccain camp, mccain campaign, new york daily news, old white woman, ominous warning, republican presidential candidate, republican presidential candidate john mccain, soft on crime, tv spot, willie horton ad