Drugs worth 50 million rupees seized in ChennaiJuly 3rd, 2008 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, July 3 (ANI): Custom officials today arrested one person named David and seized contraband Ketamine Hydrochloride worth 50 million rupees in Chennai while smugglers were trying to smuggle the drug in a Malaysia bound consignment.
The officers of the docks intelligence unit seized the contraband when they intercepted a consignment packed in four wooden crates for export to Malaysia by sea.
The custom officials said that the steel drum was cut open at one side of the hollow portion in which one black coloured cylinder made up of aluminum was found securely kept. It contained white coloured powdery substance ascertained to be Ketamine Hydrochloride commonly known as club drug.
“Our officers found that the drug Ketamine was kept concealed in the compressor. Each of the cylinders had 12 kilograms of Ketamine. The total weight of the drug recovered is about 50 kilograms. The value of the consignment in the international market is around 5 crores (50 million Rupees). Our officers have arrested one person and we are conducting further investigation,” said Customs Commissioner of Chennai C. Rajan.
The medical practitioners often use Ketamine Hydrochloride for anesthetic purpose.
However, it is notorious for being used by the sexual predators for its easier availability.
Consumption of Ketamine causes delirium, hallucinations along with delayed reaction time and amnesia. (ANI)
- Chennai cops bust drug-smuggling attempt at airport - May 14, 2010
- Dubai Customs foils bid to smuggle heroin - Jul 13, 2010
- Four tonnes of drugs destroyed in China - Jun 03, 2012
- Dubai customs foil attempt to smuggle drugs - Jan 11, 2011
- 125 kg heroin seized in Karachi - May 11, 2012
- Indonesia may become top ecstasy drug maker in Asia - Mar 01, 2012
- 168 kg of heroin seized in Australia - Nov 02, 2010
- Huge cache of drugs seized in Kathmandu - Jul 05, 2010
- 'Unpacking the Nano' exhibit to show revolutionary new car's impact - Dec 12, 2010
- Two arrested in Jaipur, 100 kg of banned drug seized - Aug 10, 2012
- Five kilograms of contraband seized in Chennai - Feb 07, 2008
- Drug-related crimes rising in China - Jun 22, 2011
- Drugs hidden with Indian prayer ash seized in Malaysia - Jan 05, 2010
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- Customs officials seize 20 kilograms of heroin - Feb 21, 2010
Tags: 50 million, anesthetic, custom officials, customs, delirium, docks, drug ketamine, hallucinations, hollow portion, intelligence unit, ketamine hydrochloride, kilograms, medical practitioners, powdery substance, reaction time, rupees, sexual predators, smugglers, steel drum, wooden crates