Dr. Kotnis saved lives of Chinese soldiers during WWII, recall his sistersJuly 8th, 2010 - 4:49 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, July 8 (ANI): Two Indian women have claimed that their brother, Dwarkanath Kotnis, a doctor, saved the lives of many Chinese fighters during the second Sino-Japanese war (1937-45).
“This year’s August 15 would be the 65th anniversary of the Chinese victory in the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression. During that war, our senior brother Dr. Kotnis saved many fighters’ lives by offering medical assistance in China,” Xinhua news agency quoted Vatsala, Dr. Kotnis’s youngest sister, as saying.
She said that after the Japanese invasion in 1937, a U.S. journalist had appealed to then-Indian National Congress leader Jawaharlal Nehru that China was in danger of being occupied, and needed urgent international aid.
“Later, Zhu De, Commander-in-Chief of the Chinese communist-led Eighth Route Army, requested Nehru to dispatch a medical team to China,” Vatsala added.
Manorama, Dr. Kotnis’s eldest sister, said that Dr. Kotnis gave up his plan to study medicine in Britain, and joined the medical aid mission of volunteer doctors to China.
National Congress leaders, who had denounced the Japanese invasion of China, had sponsored the mission.
Dr. Kotnis was one of five Indian physicians dispatched to China to provide medical assistance during the war in 1938.
He continues to be revered by the Chinese people for his dedication, perseverance, and is widely acknowledged as an example of Sino-Indian friendship and collaboration.
He died in China of epilepsy at the age of 32 in 1945. (ANI)
- President Patil invites Kotnis' sister to Beijing - May 28, 2010
- President gets invite to open Kotnis memorial - May 28, 2010
- China lowers Everest guard for Mumbai teen (With Images) - Jun 02, 2011
- China mourns death of Indian doctor's wife - Jun 29, 2012
- Five-day centenary programme to honour Dwarkanath Kotnis - Nov 28, 2010
- Differences are no barrier to good ties: Wen - Dec 16, 2010
- Indian doctors to provide free services in China - Aug 17, 2010
- China urges Japan to stop territorial sovereignty violations - Aug 17, 2012
- China must teach Japan a lesson, says Chinese daily - Sep 12, 2012
- 'Lack of strategic sense caused 1962 Sino-Indian war' - Sep 06, 2012
- Chinese observe Japan invasion anniversary - Sep 18, 2012
- India, China revive ties in medicine in memory of Kotnis - Dec 03, 2008
- Japanese embassy in China launches micro blog - Feb 17, 2011
- Japan PM might visit China to improve the soured bilateral ties - Jan 01, 2011
- Chinese daily warns of China, Japan `full confrontation' - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: 65th anniversary, chinese communist, chinese fighters, chinese soldiers, congress leader, congress leaders, dr kotnis, dwarkanath kotnis, eighth route, indian national congress, indian physicians, japanese aggression, japanese invasion of china, jawaharlal nehru, mission dr, route army, second sino japanese war, sino japanese war, volunteer doctors, xinhua news agency