Dorab Patel Award for Pak lawyersNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:46 am ICT by admin
He said that the HRCP acknowledged the contribution and role of a large number of lawyers, particularly the young activists among them, and the various bar associations and councils throughout the country, not only in the major cities but also in the districts and the towns.
“During the movement the lawyers displayed the highest possible commitment to the cause of justice by repeatedly coming out on the streets in the scorching heat and were deterred neither by the loss of practice nor by the wanton violence of theauthorities,” Haider added.
Munir A. Malik, President of the Supreme Court Bar Association, said the lawyers’ movement would continue till the “ultimate triumph.”
“Our struggle will continue in the courts and on the streets,” he said.
He said that if the people were mobilised then future decisions would come in their favour.
“We have to go a long way to change the existing mindset prevailing in our society,” the Dawn quoted Malik, as saying.
He pointed out that the largest common denominator the community had was the rule of law and supremacy of the Constitution, on the basis of which everyone could join the movement.
In reply to a question, he said national reconciliation should be in accordance with the format of South Africa. (ANI)
- Indian to head Asia-Pacific advocates' body - Mar 02, 2012
- POK PM warns Pakistan against illegal interference - Apr 30, 2010
- 'Pak govt. failed to present Taseer's murder in right perspective' - Apr 18, 2011
- Lawyers' strike against abductions leaves courtrooms deserted in Balochistan - Mar 01, 2011
- Pakistan's emergency era judges apologise to apex court - Oct 13, 2009
- Apex court asks lawyers not to refuse cases - Dec 07, 2010
- Pakistan's gateway bleeds over political opportunism - Nov 01, 2010
- Jailed legislator embarrasses Akhilesh government again - Jul 11, 2012
- Indian jailed for tampering with British court records - Nov 19, 2011
- Pak Interior Minister rules out military courts - May 03, 2011
- Delhi lawyers observe strike on bar council's call - Jul 11, 2012
- Nationwide lawyers' strike badly hits court proceedings (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Pakistan apex court summons 57 lawyers over fake degrees - Jul 19, 2011
- Delhi Bar Association poll cancelled, rescheduled for Feb 1 - Jan 25, 2012
- Five held for assaulting lawyer - May 10, 2012
Tags: bar association, bar associations, common denominator, deterred, dorab patel, haider, iqbal, lawyers, malik, mindset, munir, national reconciliation, reply, rule of law, secretary general, supremacy of the constitution, supreme court bar, wanton violence