Dont overturn landmark ruling giving Gurkhas right to stay in UK: CameronOctober 2nd, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 2 (ANI): Tory leader David Cameron has urged the Gordon Brown Government not to try and overturn a landmark court ruling giving Gurkhas the right to stay in Britain.
In his keynote conference speech, Cameron paid tribute to the bravery of the Gurkhas and pressed ministers not to turn their back on them.
I know there are difficult questions about pensions and housing but lets find a way to make it work, the Daily Star quoted Cameron, as saying after Tuesdays High Court judgment.
Don”t appeal this ruling. Lets give those brave Gurkha soldiers who fought for us the right to come and live with us, he added.
More than 2,000 former Gurkha soldiers have been refused permission to settle here because they had retired before July 1997.
But following a high profile campaign a High Court judge on Tuesday condemned the policy as unlawful and ordered the Government to urgently review immigration guidelines.
Veterans wept with joy and cheered after the landmark ruling.
Cameron said of the judgment: The courts ruled that Gurkhas who want to come and live in Britain should be able to do so. They risked their lives for us and now we must not turn our backs on them. (ANI)
- Retired Gurkha soldiers lose court case over British army pensions - Oct 14, 2010
- Gurkhas to continue campaign after losing London High Court pensions ruling - Jan 12, 2010
- Gurkhas take pension battle to European rights court - Jun 20, 2011
- Gurkha fighters launch legal battle to win equal pension rights - Oct 28, 2009
- British MPs vote to give Gurkhas right to live in Britain - Apr 30, 2009
- Gurkhas fight it out in British parliament - Apr 29, 2009
- Abandoned Gurkha veterans get first home in Nepal - Nov 17, 2010
- UK set to also welcome Gurkha widows' - Jun 12, 2009
- Policing of student protest not enough: Britain police - Nov 11, 2010
- "They made us the poorest of the poor" say UK Gurkhas - Mar 22, 2010
- UK not to ask family of Gurkha soldier killed in action to leave the country - May 10, 2009
- Britain denies Gurkha ex-soldiers automatic right to settle - Apr 24, 2009
- Victoria Cross winner Gorkha hero Pun who saved Lumley's father dies at 92 - Apr 22, 2011
- Gurkhas drag Brown Government back to court; win right to stay in UK - Mar 27, 2009
- Brown lied in saying that Gurkhas living in UK would cost taxpayers 1.4 billion pounds - May 03, 2009
Tags: bravery, cameron london, conference speech, court judge, court judgment, daily star, david cameron, difficult questions, gordon brown, gurkha soldiers, gurkhas, high profile, immigration guidelines, keynote, landmark, pensions, profile campaign, tory leader, tribute