Don’t break the news while breaking news, says Ghulam Nabi Azad to mediaNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:32 am ICT by admin
“Breaking news has become a fashion. If a wife does not serve tea to her husband, it suddenly becomes breaking news,” Daily Excelsior quoted Azad as saying.
Azad observed that the projection of only negative news was sending a wrong picture about the country across the world.
“If one reads a newspaper or switches on to a news channel one gets to read and see only negative news like murders, family discord and arson as if the entire country was on fire,” he said, adding that positive news takes a back seat.
He claimed that during the Congress-led UPA Government, an all- round progress was being attempted in rural and urban development, which does not find a mention in any television channel.
Observing that media definitely is the fourth estate of the democracy and the right of expression is enshrined in the Constitution, Azad expressed the problems of the government in disseminating information about the achievements of the Government. He said: “I wonder do we need to hire an external agency to promote the good work done by the Government.”
“Is it not the responsibility of the media?” he asked.
Azad asked the media to promote the development as well as be a critic wherever the Government does anything wrong, adding that “Negative news is not the only news.”
Major development projects that are directly connected with the welfare of the masses are either missed out or not adequately reported by print and electronic media, he pointed out. (ANI)
- Guwahati to have police commissioner system: Gogoi - Jul 17, 2012
- The core seven: Making the government's voice heard - Jun 12, 2011
- I don't love to see negative stories: Mamata - Aug 24, 2012
- Confident PM reaches out at press conference - Feb 16, 2011
- Himalayan Ski Village project delay costs state dearly - Jul 08, 2012
- Space scientists shocked over ex-ISRO chief's outburst - Jan 26, 2012
- Norms on TV channels' renewal anti-media, says BJP - Oct 10, 2011
- Third Red Ribbon Express to spread AIDS awareness planned (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- New facsimile of Buddhist sutra unveiled - May 04, 2012
- Raj Thackeray threatens to shut Hindi channels misquoting him - Sep 02, 2012
- Assam molestation: Channel editor says he'll quit (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- 'India, Australia, US should form pact to tackle China' - Nov 04, 2011
- India assures Bangladesh on Tipaimukh project - Nov 22, 2011
- Media self-regulation has not succeeded: Ansari - Nov 16, 2011
- We are urged to join this Pakistan - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: arson, azad, back seat, break the news, breaking news, daily excelsior, development projects, editors conference, electronic media, family discord, fourth estate, ghulam nabi, infrastructure issues, major development, negative news, positive news, t break, television channel, UPA