Don’t backtrack on agreement, Sangharsh Samiti warns governmentSeptember 12th, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Sep 5 (IANS) Six days after the Jammu and Kashmir government reached an agreement giving the Amarnath temple trust temporary use of a piece of forest land, the Shri Amarnath Yatra Sangharsh Samiti Friday warned the government against “backtracking” on the accord or it would renew its agitation.”The agitation was suspended and not called off. The government should bear this in mind,” Shri Amarnath Yatra Sangharash Samiti convenor Leela Karan Sharma told media persons Friday evening.
He voiced his irritation over the government silence on the issue of those detained under the Public Safety Act, which allows the authorities to detain anyone for two years without offering any explanation to the courts.
Sharma said according to the agreement, criminal cases against the protesters who took part in the 63-day-long agitation demanding return of the land to Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) would be withdrawn.
Governor N.N. Vohra’s four-member panel, headed by his advisor (home) S.S. Bloeria, and Sharma signed an accord Aug 31, setting aside 100 acres of land “exclusively” for the shrine board during the annual Hindu pilgrimage to the cave shrine devoted to Lord Shiva in the Kashmir Himalayas.
“If the government continues to backtrack on the agreement, the Sangharsh Samiti would not hesitate to revive the suspended agitation,” he said.
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Over 1 lakh pilgrims visit Amarnath shrine in 5 days - Jun 30, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Sreedharan on Vaishno Devi Board - Mar 27, 2012
- Snowfall on Amarnath track hits clearance operation - Jun 08, 2012
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- 74 Amarnath pilgrims die in 19 days - Jul 14, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Amarnath land row: J-K Govt., Sangharsh Samiti sign agreement - Aug 31, 2008
Tags: agitation, amarnath temple, backtrack, backtracking, convenor, forest land, friday evening, himalayas, hindu pilgrimage, jammu and kashmir government, lord shiva, media persons, member panel, public safety act, sangharsh, sasb, shri, shrine board, vohra, yatra