Donkeys have a hospital for themselves in Rajasthan!November 14th, 2007 - 8:11 am ICT by admin
The hospital has an ambulance that reaches anywhere in the region to treat the wounded donkeys. The treatment offered is free of cost. The hospital also repairs the carts so that donkeys don’t get hurt while pulling them.
“A donkey costs around rupees 500 to 1,000. It doesn’t look viable to the owners to spend on them for treatment. You can see wounded donkeys straying on the roads here. We provide treatment to the donkeys and also repair the carts pulled by donkeys,” said Deepak Tanwar, a veterinarian
The owners of donkeys are more than happy to have such a hospital. They are poor people and find it difficult to spend money on the treatment of the animals.
“Earlier, we had to pay money for their treatment. Just an injection cost rupees fifteen and the entire visit to the hospital and medicines used to cost us around rupees 50-60. But now we can save that money because of this hospital. We just call the hospital and the ambulance picks up the animal and returns it after treatment,” said Subhash, a donkey owner.
The Donkey Sanctuary has already set up similar hospitals in Sholapur (Maharashtra), Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh), Delhi and Ahmedabad (Gujarat).
It was decided to set up a hospital in Dundlod areas of Rajasthan after finding out that 75 per cent of the donkeys in India are found in this region.or the poverty-ridden people of Dundlod, donkeys are the only mode of commuting, transportation and income. (ANI)
- Century on, end of a bullock cart saga in Mumbai (With Images) - Feb 08, 2012
- 'Flying donkey' in Russia dies of heart attack - Feb 06, 2011
- Tusker tales: What ails captive elephants in Kerala - Dec 29, 2011
- Why city folks treat dogs as their kids - Aug 16, 2010
- Old police horses trot off to sanctuary's comfort (Feature with images) - Mar 31, 2010
- Prince William has a donkey named in his honour! - Apr 28, 2011
- In Sabarimala, donkey can hope for better times - Nov 05, 2010
- Activist protests bulls' abuse; thrown out of conference - Sep 08, 2011
- Two dead as bomb on donkey cart explodes in Peshawar (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
- Russian Police search for flying donkey, owner - Jul 21, 2010
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt donate $2 million to wildlife - Jan 04, 2011
- I am thrifty: Reese Witherspoon - Jan 22, 2011
- PETA demands AIIMS release lab animals - Apr 28, 2011
- 'Mules are not stubborn' - May 15, 2012
- Hog bites owner to death in Hungary - Aug 09, 2010