DMK wins Thirumangalam by-pollJanuary 12th, 2009 - 4:41 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Jan 12 (ANI): The Dravida Munettra Kazhagam (DMK) won the Thirumangalam Assembly by-election by a huge margin of 39,266 votes on Monday.
DMK candidate Latha Athiyaman defeated her All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) rival M Muthuramalingam. Athiyaman polled 79,422 votes over Muthuramalingam’’s 40,156 votes.
The Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK) came third with 13,136 votes, followed by the Akila India Samathuva Makkal Katchi (AISMK) with a mere 831 votes.
Elections for the seat, which fell vacant after the death of MDMK MLA Veera Illavarasan last month, were held on January 9 this year and counting was taken up today.
MDMK Chief Vaiko asked his ally the AIADMK to contest the seat.
Twenty-six candidates were in the fray for the by-elections. (ANI)
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu polls: Raja's brother arrested for 'bribing' voters - Apr 11, 2011
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
- DMK wins Tirumangalam assembly by-poll - Jan 12, 2009
- AIADMK, CPI-M in talks on seat sharing - Feb 19, 2011
- TN polls: EC issues notice to Jayalalithaa, Vijayakanth - Apr 07, 2011
- AIADMK leading in Sankarankoil bypoll - Mar 21, 2012
- AIADMK wins Sankarankoil by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- DMK pulls up Vijayakanth for beating party worker - Mar 31, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: AIADMK finalises agreement with CPI (M) - Mar 19, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Kerala polls include 153 candidates with criminal background - Apr 07, 2011