DMK to contest 21 seats, Congress 16March 29th, 2009 - 1:15 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Mar 29 (ANI): The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, last night finalised a seat-sharing arrangement with its allies, the Congress, the Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK) and the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML).
According to the deal, the Congress will contest 15 Tamil Nadu seats and one seat in Puducherry, the VCK, a Dalit party, got two seats and the IUML got one.
The arrangement has left 21 seats for the DMK.
Announcing the accord signed by him and Tamil Nadu Congress Committee (TNCC) president K V Thangabalu in the presence of AICC general secretary Gulam Nabi Azad, DMK chief M Karunanidhi told reporters that the constituencies to be contested by the parties would be announced later.
In the last general elections, the Congress had contested 10 seats and the DMK had contested 15 seats.
Expressing hope that that people would vote for the UPA and support it to form a government at national level, Karunanidhi said, “The alliance between DMK and Congress is the best and would win all 40 seats in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.”
Azad said he was satisfied with the allocation of 16 seats. He dismissed the reports that the DMK has become weaker after the exit of Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK).
The PMK recently joined hands with the J Jayalalithaa-led All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) and was allotted seven Lok Sabha seats for the coming polls. (ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- Puducherry polls: Parties campaign door-to-door to woo voters - Mar 28, 2011
- Seat sharing talks between DMK, Congress cancelled - Mar 03, 2011
- DMK, Congress sign formal agreement on seat sharing - Mar 09, 2011
- Karunanidhi to discuss seat-sharing with PM, Sonia - Jan 31, 2011
- DMK pulls out of UPA government, to provide issue-based support - Mar 05, 2011
- Final tally for Tamil Nadu elections - May 14, 2011
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- Baalu likely to meet PM as Cong-DMK standoff over seat sharing continues - Mar 05, 2011
- Cong-DMK standoff: All problems will be solved, says Mukherjee - Mar 05, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Prime Minister, discusses fishermen killings - Jan 31, 2011
- PMK to join DMK-Congress combine for Tamil Nadu polls - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, aicc, azad, chennai, congress committee, constituencies, dmk chief, dravida munnetra kazhagam, general elections, general secretary, gulam nabi, j jayalalithaa, lok sabha seats, m karunanidhi, muslim league, tamil nadu, tncc, UPA, vck, viduthalai