DMK protests offensive on Lankan TamilsFebruary 8th, 2009 - 6:52 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Feb.8, (ANI): Activists of the ruling Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) on Sunday staged a protest against the Sri Lankan Army’’s offensive on ethnic Tamils in that island-nation.
States Rural Development Minister M. K. Stalin led the protest and raised anti-Lankan slogans.
The protesters called for a democratic solution to the Sri Lankan crisis. “The massive rally is being conducted with the help of members and other political partners of DMK. It is conducted mainly to stop killings in Sri Lanka so that at least the remaining Tamils can live there in peace,” Stalin said.
India has been demanding protection for Sri Lanka’’s Tamils, who are closely linked to the 60 million Tamils in Tamil Nadu. External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee recently visited Sri Lanka and discussed various possible safety measures for trapped Tamils with Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa. Mukherjees visit was also to cool tensions between Central government and the ruling DMK in Tamil Nadu. Sri Lanka’’s military has encircled the Tigers and is confident it will win a war that is now one of Asia’’s longest-running conflicts, in which 70,000people have been killed since 1983. (ANI)
- Tamil Nadu party protests offensive on Lankan Tamils - Feb 08, 2009
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- All-party delegation to meet visiting Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- India wishes for settlement of issues between displaced Tamils and Sri Lankan Govt.: Krishna - Aug 25, 2010
- Sri Lankan Tamils protest Sonia Gandhi's London visit - Mar 18, 2011
- MDMK activists protest Centre's invitation to Sri Lankan president Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP slams 'casual attitude' of Central Government towards fishermen deaths - Jan 30, 2011
- Tamil Nadu delegation leaves for Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2009
- Tamil Nadu MPs to leave for Sri Lanka today - Oct 10, 2009
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- Indian delegation holds talks in Sri Lanka - Apr 17, 2012
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- DMK leaders court arrest during anti-Sri Lanka protest - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: 60 million, central government, democratic solution, development minister, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, island nation, killings, mahinda rajapaksa, massive rally, nation states, pranab mukherjee, president mahinda rajapaksa, rural development, safety measures, sri lankan army, sri lankan crisis, sri lankan president, stalin, tamils