Disturbances over Amarnath continue in JammuJuly 1st, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, July 1 (ANI): Bharatiya Janata Party-Shiv Sena led protestors here are demanding the removal of Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra as the Amarnath Shrine land row entered the second day on Tuesday.
The protestors blocked traffic and fought pitched battles with the police in Jammu today.
Denouncing Vohra’s decision to hand over affairs of the Amarnath Shrine Board to the State Government, the protesters sought his immediate removal.
In skirmishes between the police and demonstrators two BJP activists were injured.
The protestors burnt tyres and torched effigies of the Governor, Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad and Peoples Democratic Party patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed.
They also blocked vehicular traffic on the highway and other inter-districts roads.
Police said that 11 BJP-Shiv Sena activists were arrested in connection with the violence.
As a precautionary measure the State Government ordered closure of schools, colleges and other educational institutions while the Jammu University put off examinations of its management courses scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Inspector General of Police (Jammu) K Rajindra said the situation was tense but under control, adding adequate police had been deployed in the Jammu where prohibitory orders had been imposed to maintain peace.
The BJP-Shiv Sena shutdown, which has crippled normal life, has been extended till Wednesday.
Shops and businesses remained shut and traffic remained off the road for the second straight day on Tuesday in Jammu. (ANI)
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- BJP takes up Amarnath pilgrims' deaths with Chidambaram - Jul 24, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- No delay in June 25 start of Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2012
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Sreedharan on Vaishno Devi Board - Mar 27, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Chidambaram in Jammu, visits Vaishno Devi - Apr 10, 2012
- Hostile weather halts Amarnath yatra; army, IAF on alert - Jul 08, 2011
- Over 1 lakh pilgrims visit Amarnath shrine in 5 days - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: amarnath shrine, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, demonstrators, educational institutions, effigies, ghulam nabi azad, jammu and kashmir, jammu university, management courses, mufti, pitched battles, precautionary measure, protestors, shiv sena, shrine board, skirmishes, vehicular traffic, vohra