Displaced Kashmiri Pandits demonstrate to demand inclusion in voter’’s listMarch 24th, 2009 - 7:42 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Mar 24 (ANI): Displaced Kashmiri Pandits staged a protest in front of the Election Commission office in Jammu, demanding inclusion in the voter’’s list.
Kashmiri Pandits, who have migrant’’s status in the region, want their names to be included in the voter’’s list so that they can exercise their franchise in the upcoming general elections.
Expressing their lament over being left out from the voter’’s list, they said out of 1,54,000 Kashmiri Pandits registered in the Relief Commissioner’’s Office, only 22, 818 have been included in the voter’’s list.
“We want the right to vote. We appeal to the Election Commission to complete our voter profile and include our names in the voter’’s list. This is injustice. We are not demanding blood, we are demanding ballot,” said A.N. Vaishnavi, a protester.
Election officials said they were doing the needful.
“Their demand for more representation in the voter list is genuine, and we have advised them to fill up their forms, so that their registration can be completed and their names can be put on the voter list,” said B.R. Sharma, Chief Election Commissioner, Jammu.
India will hold a five-phased general election between April 16 and May 13 in which 714million people will cast their votes to elect a new Central Government. (ANI)
- Kashmiri migrants clash with police on polling day in Jammu - Apr 30, 2009
- Kashmiri migrants protest, want free electricity - Sep 04, 2012
- Kashmiri migrants on hunger strike for hike in dole - Aug 31, 2012
- Migrant Kashmiri Pandit voter number halved in 12 years - May 02, 2009
- Package for pandits irk migrants from Jammu hills - Jun 21, 2012
- Refugees in our own country: Kashmiri pandits - Jun 20, 2012
- Jammu migrants: A neglected second cousin? - Apr 01, 2011
- Kashmir arranges for fish sale for Pandits - Feb 18, 2012
- BJP demands deletion of Bangladeshi migrants from voters' list in Assam - Dec 19, 2010
- Kashmiri Pandit migrants unhappy with tag, boycott polls - May 07, 2009
- Kashmiri Pandits unhappy with migrant tag, boycott polls (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Kashmiri Pandits seek refugee status - Jun 19, 2010
- Remove Bangladeshi migrants from Assam electoral rolls: BJP - Jan 03, 2011
- Displaced Kashmiri Pandits seek special status - Jun 20, 2010
- Shutdown brings normal life to standstill in Meghalaya - May 14, 2012
Tags: central government, chief election commissioner, election commission office, election officials, franchise, general election, general elections, inclusion, injustice, jammu india, kashmiri, lament, protest, protester