Dismal conditions at Ludhiana ZooJune 24th, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by ANI
Ludhiana, June 24 (ANI): As the mercury continues to rise, it has become increasingly difficult for animals to beat the heat at the ill-equipped Ludhiana Zoo.
The zoo authorities are finding it tough to provide relief to hapless animals in a temperature of 45 degree Celsius.
Animals have been provided with air coolers and straw mats in their enclosures, but they are not operational because of the long power cuts.
“We are trying our best to save the animals in the zoo from the summer heat. But due to the long power cuts and absence of the generators the situation is getting tough. If we had the generators at least the coolers could be functional,” said Pramod Kumar, In-charge of the Ludhiana Zoo.
Animals like the tigers, bears and various birds could be seen taking shelter under the trees or soaking themselves in water ponds.
Visitors are shocked at the plight of animals who are forced to live under dismal conditions.
“We humans at least have the luxury of staying in air-conditions but then these animals stay here without water and electricity. We have seen an ice-bear who stays in cold temperatures but here he stays without the electricity,” said Harjit Singh, a visitor. (ANI)
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Now, coolers, glucose and vitamins for Patna Zoo inmates - Apr 19, 2010
- UP sweats as mercury soars past 40 degrees - May 14, 2012
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Coolers help zoo animals beat heat - Mar 19, 2010
- Indian zoos to be graded on performance - Apr 10, 2012
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Zoo gears up for monsoon season in Bihar - Jul 29, 2010
- Orphaned grizzlies sent to the Montana zoo - Dec 21, 2010
- Premiere Of The Infamous Orphaned Grizzlies Takes Place At A Zoo In Montana - Dec 21, 2010
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Chimpanzee asks people to free him at Wales Zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Rajkot Zoo sets up top-open enclosures for leopards - May 29, 2010
Tags: air conditions, air coolers, animals in the zoo, authorities, bears, birds, cold temperatures, degree celsius, dismal conditions, electricity, generators, harjit singh, june 24, mercury, plight, straw mats, summer heat, tigers, water ponds, zoo animals