Directory on Environmental NGOs in India 2008 releasedJuly 4th, 2008 - 8:07 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 4 (ANI): The 9th edition of the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) -Indias Directory, titled Environmental NGOs in India - 2008 has been released.
The directory, which is a comprehensive information-bank, takes into account Non Government Organisations in all the States and Union Territories working towards environmental protection, conservation and awareness.
It provides vital information about the groups engaged in the cultivation and nurturing of interest in environmental protection and the conservation of nature and natural resources.
There has been a substantial increase in awareness of environmental problems in the country, which has also been accompanied by an increase in the number of Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs) working to promote sustainable development and proper environmental management.
The directory covers all relevant and useful information catalogued under various appropriate heads including minute details like the total strength of permanent staff, number of members and geographical coverage in addition to the general information comprising the name, address, status (registered /non-registered, trust/society/group), nature (nonprofit/rural oriented/urban oriented), the environmental related activities carried out during last three years and to be carried out next year by different NGOs of our country.
The spectrum of Missions as provided by the different NGOs range from promoting environmental education, conducting awareness camps, safeguarding environment through social mobilization and community participation, biodiversity and wildlife conservation, promotion of renewable energy and various other research activities and movements.
The new edition includes a larger number of NGOs working in the field of environment and more extensive and detailed information by giving NGO profile, activities carried out during 2004-07, activities proposed as well as major publications.
Produced every alternate year, the directory is the single largest information base on NGOs working in the field of environment, sustainable development, and nature conservation in India. This edition carries complete information of almost 2300 organizations in the country.
This directory is useful for voluntary groups, government agencies, libraries, researchers, aid agencies, the media, and educational institutions. (ANI)
- Donate binoculars, promote eco-awareness - Sep 02, 2011
- Hindu statesman Zed launches Global Council on Environment to 'better the universe around us' - May 10, 2010
- Global Council on Environment launched to "better the universe around us" - May 09, 2010
- Strike balance between environment, development: Patil - Feb 21, 2011
- People with good jobs in big cities more likely to engage in pro-environmental activities - Jan 19, 2011
- Mumbai NGO picked for Fulbright alumni programme (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Mumbai NGO to train other NGOs under Fulbright alumni programme - Jul 03, 2012
- Why is state government against heritage tag for Western Ghats, question greens - Jul 09, 2012
- Indian-born Kamal Bawa wins award for sustainability work - Feb 18, 2012
- Writer, artist, environmentalist and Karmapa - Feb 01, 2012
- Band with a difference rocks Srinagar - for a message - Nov 12, 2011
- Tripura marks World Environment Day - Jun 05, 2010
- Empowering villagers through turtle conservation (Feature) (With Images) - Jul 02, 2012
- Youths must be sensitised about environment: President - May 30, 2012
- Conscience over profit? Not business as usual - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: awareness camps, community participation, conservation of nature, environmental education, environmental ngos, geographical coverage, group nature, information bank, major publications, minute details, nature wwf, ngos in india, non government organisations, non governmental organisations, social mobilization, society group, staff number, trust society, union territories, wildlife conservation