Diplomatic initiatives need to be converted into commercial opportunities: Pranab MukherjeeNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:11 am ICT by admin
The meeting focused on improving connectivity and strengthening political as well as economic ties with neighbouring countries to develop economic activities.
“Given that we have over 15 years of pursuing our Look East Policy, put in place certain diplomatic and political structures, there is need now to make these structures work for our North Eastern Region. Diplomatic initiatives urgently need to be converted into commercial opportunities,” Mukherjee said.
Participating Chief Ministers also discussed how to improve the infrastructure and telecommunication network within the states and linking them to the Southeast Asian countries.
Also, the future potential for export, tourism and the possibility of institutional cooperation in training and research was discussed.
“We have felt for some time the need to focus the benefits of this cooperation more sharply on our North Eastern Region, which is a natural bridge between India and South East Asia,” he added.
Look East Policy was initiated by former Prime Minister late Narasimha Rao in the early 1990s, almost fifteen years back, and has yielded many benefits including closer and strategic contacts between India and South East Asian countries. (ANI)
- India unveils ambitious 'Connect' with Central Asia (Comment) - Jun 18, 2012
- Expanding national highways in east India vital for trade - Oct 31, 2010
- India must consolidate engagement with CELAC (Comment) - Aug 17, 2012
- India's northeast can be regional bridge: Tharoor - Apr 09, 2010
- India to begin ASEAN engagement with Delhi Dialogue - Feb 12, 2012
- India-US economic dialogue to focus on India's vast potential - Jun 23, 2011
- US to focus economic dialogue on India's vast potential (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- India pitches for ASEAN pact in services, investments - Jul 11, 2012
- President Patil underlines need for development of North-East - Mar 10, 2011
- Reform global governance structures, India urges NAM (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- 'India seeks secure Asia free of terror' - Jun 29, 2012
- 'India faces six challenges in Central Asia' - Jan 16, 2012
- India takes over presidency of G-24 after 28 years - Sep 23, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- 'Forge commonalities of the past into Asia-Africa bond' - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: chief ministers, commercial opportunities, diplomatic initiatives, east asian countries, economic ties, India, institutional cooperation, look east policy, narasimha rao, natural bridge, northeastern states, political structures, pranab mukherjee, south east asian countries, southeast asian countries, telecommunication network