Dinosaur eggs discovered in Tamil NaduOctober 1st, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by ANI
Salem (Tamil Nadu), Oct 1 (ANI): Research scholars, archaeologists and geologists of the Periyar University in Salem, Tamil Nadu have found 20 fossilised eggs at a nesting site of dinosaurs.
This is probably the first nesting site in South India that has been traced in the River Cauvery basin region near Ariyalur.
“We conducted a research, backed by the Research Grand Fund, at Arianur near Trichy. We found some 20 egg shells dating back to 6.5 crores years. We came to know that this might be the eggs of dinosaurs,” said Ramkumar, head of the Geology Department, Periyar University.
“Later, we submitted the photographs of these eggs to a research centre at Pudiyarturiyal in India and to Dr. Kelmer of the International Dinosaur Research Centre. We have received details from all the research centres confirming these as dinosaur eggs,” Ramkumar added.
According to Ramkumar, who led a team of researchers, the dinosaurs used to come here to lay eggs every year.
The geologists, who have documented the dinosaurs nesting site in an area of two-square kilometres, confirmed that this is the largest nesting site with so many eggs ever found in India. (ANI)
- Fossilised eggs found in Tamil Nadu belonged to large dinosaur species - Oct 02, 2009
- Dinosaur-bird 'missing link' could be egg - Jul 13, 2012
- A haunt of dinosaurs now prepares for enthusiasts - May 21, 2010
- Oldest dinosaur nest discovered - Jan 27, 2012
- Fossils, mineral rocks attract huge crowds at expo (With Images) - Jan 05, 2012
- First complete sauropod embryo discovered - Mar 23, 2011
- Mild tremors in parts of Tamil Nadu - Aug 12, 2011
- Ancient snake devoured dinosaur young in India - Mar 02, 2010
- Dinosaur fossil park to come up in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 17, 2010
- Snake from India fed on hatchling dinos 67 million years ago - Mar 02, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh to have national dinosaur fossil park - May 17, 2010
- CBI swoops on Raja kin, Radia, Kanimozhi NGO - Dec 15, 2010
- Dinosaur fossils found in Argentina - Apr 28, 2010
- Konkan Turtle Festival draws domestic, foreign tourists (With Images) - Mar 13, 2010
- Birds eavesdrop on chipmunks to protect nests - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: archaeologists, basin region, cauvery basin, dinosaur eggs, dinosaur research, dinosaurs, egg shells, fossilised eggs, geologists, geology department, periyar university, photographs, ramkumar, research scholars, river cauvery, south india, square kilometres, tamil nadu, trichy