Digestion of harmful protein linked to AlzheimersJuly 28th, 2008 - 1:42 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 29 (ANI): New research from NYU Langone Medical Center ties digestion of a harmful protein to Alzheimers disease.
During the study, Assistant Professor Dun-Sheng Yang and colleagues genetically enhanced the activity of digestive enzymes in the nerve cells of mice that were susceptible to producing an overabundant amount of amyloid beta, the abnormal protein found in the plaques littering the brains of people with Alzheimer”’’s.
The researchers say that the mice showed lower amounts of the protein in parts of the brain responsible for advanced thinking, learning and memory.
According to them, that observation suggested that the animals brain cells were more efficient at digesting and expelling the toxic, misfolded protein.
In their study report, the researchers say that failure to degrade amyloid beta in lysosomes containing the digestive enzymes is an important factor in Alzheimer”’’s disease.
Amyloid beta and another protein called tau are associated with the disease, but it hasn””t yet been proven definitively that either actually causes the disease.
A presentation on the new finding was made at the ongoing Alzheimer”’’s Association 2008 International Conference. (ANI)
- Novel gene therapy shows promise against Alzheimer's - Mar 05, 2011
- Scientists eliminate plaque formation in Alzheimer's - Sep 06, 2012
- Proteins responsible for Alzheimer's 'may spread through infection' - Oct 22, 2010
- Asthma drug could help fight Alzheimer's - Mar 27, 2011
- Turmeric-based drug being tested against Alzheimer's - Feb 15, 2012
- Blood vessel dysfunction linked to heart disease also plays role in Alzheimer's - Dec 03, 2010
- Liver, not brain, may be source of Alzheimer's plaques - Mar 04, 2011
- Asthma drug could help fight Alzheimer's disease - Mar 26, 2011
- Drug reverses Alzheimer's symptoms in mice: Study - Feb 10, 2012
- Potential new target for Alzheimer's treatment identified - Jun 11, 2010
- Sleep disorders are early signs of Alzheimer's - Sep 06, 2012
- New method to cleanse brain of Alzheimer's plaques developed - Dec 10, 2010
- Insulin could play powerful role in fighting Alzheimer's - Apr 02, 2011
- Stress may aggravate Alzheimer's risk - May 27, 2011
- Potent new vaccine found effective against Alzheimer's - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: abnormal protein, alzheimer, assistant professor, brain cells, brains, colleagues, digestion, digestive enzymes, dun, learning and memory, lysosomes, medical center, mice, nerve cells, nyu langone, observation, parts of the brain, plaques, sheng yang, tau