Digamber Kamat to discuss Goa SEZ issue with Union Commerce MinisterJanuary 3rd, 2008 - 12:46 pm ICT by admin
Panaji, Jan 3 (ANI): Goa Chief Minister Digamber Kamat is expected to meet Union Commerce and Industry Minister Kamal Nath here today on the issue of Goa Government’s decision to scrap all Special Economic Zones (SEZs) in the State.
Union Commerce Secretary Gopal Pillai, on Wednesday, said that the State Governments have no power to scrap notified SEZs.
The Goa Government had decided to scrap all 15 SEZs in the state on December 31, 2007 following widespread political protests, including by the Congress party workers.
This was after seven SEZs had been approved by the Centre’s Board of Approval, which is headed by Pillai.
Of the seven approved SEZs, three had been notified. These three include Cipla’s Meditab Specialities, Peninsula Pharma Research Centre and K Raheja Corporation.
Kamat is expected to ask Kamal Nath to put on hold the remaining SEZs that have been approved but not notified.
The State Government faced a tough time last week with anti-SEZ protestors intensifying their movement. There have been protests against SEZs in several states, including West Bengal, Maharashtra and Haryana, but Goa is the first Congress-ruled state to have gone back on the SEZ policy. (ANI)
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- People's audit of SEZ to include corporate, state members - Dec 20, 2009
- 'Smaller SEZs could have worked for Goa' - Dec 18, 2010
- Goa minister goes against own government, supports SEZs - Nov 09, 2009
- Fear of litigation halts SEZ de-notification: Goa chief minister - Nov 20, 2009
- Goa SEZ scam: Kamat still to read court order - Dec 08, 2010
- Goa government withdraws SEZ policy - Jun 15, 2009
- Goa chief minister to meet Kamal Nath on SEZ issue - Jan 05, 2009
- PAC to probe 2006 land allotment for SEZs - May 25, 2011
- SEZ promoters in Goa want over Rs.1,500 crore compensation - Aug 23, 2010
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- Congress chief ministers part of Goa land scam: Parrikar - Dec 01, 2010
- Goa's SEZ policies creating 'monsters':Industry body - Dec 06, 2010
- Goa move to scrap SEZs awaits central government's nod - Dec 09, 2008
- SEZs will not be thrust upon Goa: Kamal Nath - Jan 03, 2008
Tags: chief minister, cipla, commerce minister, commerce secretary, congress party, economic zones, goa government, gopal, haryana, industry minister, k raheja, kamal nath, kamat, panaji, pillai, political protests, protestors, s board, state governments, west bengal