Diamonds worth rupees 3.1 million seized in ChennaiNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:13 am ICT by admin
“He was opting for green channel. However, on suspicion our officers checked his baggage. From inside his baggage, we recovered diamonds, ruby stones and other semi-precious stones valued at rupees 31 lakhs. These stones were kept in a cotton box below noodle packets,” said C. Rajan, Customs Commissioner, Chennai airport.
Rajan said that on preliminary interrogation it seems Gopal was just a carrier for which he was to be paid a sum of rupees 60,000.
Thirty-eight-year old Gopal is a resident of Tiruchirapally and was working in Bangkok for the past two-and-half years.
This is the second case of diamond seizure at Chennai airport in the recent past. (ANI)
- Jewellery designer Farah Khan Ali opens store in capital - Apr 22, 2011
- India not planning to bring Kohinoor back - Aug 18, 2010
- Thailand seizes 451 turtles smuggled into plane luggage - Jun 02, 2011
- Gang that plundered royal palace for 8 months busted - Jan 11, 2010
- Indian held in Dhaka for smuggling tortoises - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Diamond Rakhis' in great demand in Surat - Aug 18, 2010
- Forget threads and beads - invest in gold, diamond rakhi (Feature) - Aug 12, 2011
- Mila Kunis got $7k facial for Golden Globes - Jan 18, 2011
- Costume Jewelery: The Ultimate Fashion Statement Of Our Times - Nov 27, 2010
- Rare pink diamond found in WA - Feb 23, 2012
- A Nano car worth Rs.22 crore - Sep 19, 2011
- Cleanliness freak JLo's loo woes - Jun 26, 2012
- Rebirth for us, say ship tragedy survivors from Tamil Nadu - Jan 20, 2012
- Ekta Kapoor detained at airport, released - Aug 08, 2011
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012