Diamonds in demand, prices soar in SuratNovember 18th, 2010 - 9:10 pm ICT by ANI
Surat, Nov.18 (ANI): Increasing demand of diamonds in the international markets prompted traders in Surat to hike the prices of rough diamonds by seven to 20 percent.
Diamond-trading companies have supplied new diamonds in the market with seven to 20 percent increase in rates after growing demand from European and American markets.
“The price hike in rough diamond is five to 15 percent and on average it’s seven to 10 percent,” said Chandrakant Sanghvi, the regional chairman of the Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council.
Cut and polished diamonds grabs two-thirds of total gems and jewellery exports of the country so there is a solid demand of polished diamonds.
“After recession, there is a huge demand in diamond business in international market especially in countries like USA, Japan, China, and United Arab Emirates,” said Dinesh Nawadia, president of the Surat Diamond Association. (ANI)
- Gujarat diamond merchants seek benefits in upcoming Budget - Feb 22, 2011
- Gujarat's diamond industry faces acute shortage of skilled workers - Aug 07, 2010
- Indian jewellery showcased at US show - Jun 02, 2012
- High prices behind weak demand for diamonds this V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- Jewellers criticise hike in import duty on gold - Mar 16, 2012
- Gems and jewellery exports shine in 2010-11 - Apr 19, 2011
- Diamond cutting industry hopes for tax sops in union budget - Jun 28, 2009
- International diamond grading facility launched at Surat - Apr 15, 2010
- Surat diamond merchants threaten to halt trade with China - Jan 21, 2010
- India surpasses $300 billion exports target - Apr 19, 2012
- Surat diamond traders flay arrest of Indians in China - Jan 13, 2010
- Diamond sales pick up in Ahmedabad - Dec 06, 2010
- New diamond sourcing company in Surat - Aug 17, 2010
- Indian jewellery and textile industries upset with General Budget - Feb 27, 2010
- Botswana diamond exports triple - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: american markets, diamond business, diamond trading, export promotion council, gems, grabs, international markets, japan china, jewellery exports, price hike, recession, regional chairman, rough diamond, rough diamonds, two thirds, united arab emirates