Dhoni visits Kargil, pays homage to martyrs of 1999June 6th, 2012 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 6 (IANS) Indian Cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni Wednesday visited the theatre of the 1999 Kargil Conflict and wondered how Indian soldiers had pushed back Pakistanis from the heights they had occupied in winter.
Dhoni, who has been accorded the honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Territorial Army, visited Dras and Kargil on the second day of his visit to the Ladakh region.
He paid homage to the “martyrs of the Indian Army at the War Memorial there,” said the atrmy’s Northern Command spokesperson, Lt. Col. Rajesh Kalia.
The Kargil sector is characterized by rugged peaks and hostile weather conditions that demand utmost physical and mental fitness from the soldiers to operate here.
“It amazes me to see our brave soldiers withstanding such rugged terrain and weather to protect our national frontiers,” said a visibly-moved Dhoni after interacting with the troops here.
“Dhoni’s visit has come as a big morale booster to the troops deployed in the remote and inaccessible areas of Ladakh,” said the spokesman.
- Dhoni visits Leh - Jun 05, 2012
- Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in Kashmir - Jun 01, 2012
- Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Dhoni wants to serve army after his cricketing career ends (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- Kargil martyr's parents look to SC, president for hope - Jul 26, 2012
- Parents struggling to get justice for Kargil martyr son (With Image) - Jul 26, 2010
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- Army chief visits Northern Command - May 23, 2012
- Indian army kicks off motorbike expedition to pay homage to World War II martyrs - Aug 20, 2010
- Dhoni, Bindra to don olive green from Tuesday - Oct 31, 2011
- Indian-origin British lawyer fights for Kargil martyr - Dec 11, 2011
- Remembering Kargil heroes, 11 years after victory - Jul 25, 2010
Tags: brave soldiers, cricket captain, inaccessible areas, indian army, indian cricket, indian soldiers, kargil conflict, kargil sector, ladakh region, lieutenant colonel, mahendra singh dhoni, mental fitness, morale booster, national frontiers, pakistanis, rugged peaks, rugged terrain, territorial army, war memorial, weather conditions