Dharamsala to hold Miss Tibet-2009 beauty pageantJune 4th, 2009 - 1:29 pm ICT by ANI
Dharamsala, June 4 (ANI): Four Tibetan beauties would sashay along the stage in the ‘Miss Tibet-2009′ beauty pageant that would begin here from June 5.
The participants namely Dolkar from Dehradun, Ngawang Choying from Darjeeling, Tenzin Choezom from Dharamsala and Yeshi Lhamo from Bir in Himachal Pradesh would compete in the beauty contest.
The contestants, presently in Dharamsala, are being provided training in Yoga, dance, make-up and personality development.
They will also be provided orientation on Tibetan history, language, philosophy, current affairs, the human rights and environment situation in Tibet as well.
The Director of Miss Tibet pageant, Lobsang Wangyal told reporters that the 100 thousand Tibetans living in India belong to conservative society and hence the lesser number of participants in the event.”Tibetan society is very conservative society. So it is not easy for young women to come forward and be themselves. They are always afraid of what and who will say behind them, the name taking… all this. So they cannot take such things and they face such things,” said Lobsang Wangyal, Director, Miss Tibet-2009 Beauty Pageant.
Tenzin Choezom, the 20-year-old participant said that she wants to be inspiration for other Tibetan women.
” I want to be an example for the youth that if I can participate in this competition then they (other Tibetans) can also participate in this competition,” she added.
The three-day competition would begin with swim suit round followed by intellectual rounds on their art of articulation and allied other talents.
Crowning and presentation of the prize money of one lakh rupees to the winner would be held during finale on June 7.
Evening gown, traditional costume and interview would also be held on the last day.The first runner-up will be presented with 50,000 rupees while the second runner-up and would be given 25,000 rupees.
The fourth contestant will receive a token prize of 5,000 rupees.
Lobsang Wangyal Productions started the pageant in 2002 when a majority of the four short-listed girls backed out facing flak from community leaders.
Nonetheless, the pageant has survived through the years, at times witnessing only a single participant.
The pageant has had its share of successes and failures on the international stage due to objections by Beijing. (ANI)
- Miss Tibet-2009 enters its second day - Jun 07, 2009
- Miss Tibet pageant begins in Dharamsala - Jun 05, 2009
- Six to compete for Miss Tibet title - May 28, 2011
- Miss Tibet pageant cancelled - May 02, 2012
- Tenzin Choezom crowned Miss Tibet - Jun 08, 2009
- Tenzin Norzom is Miss Tibet - Jun 07, 2010
- Four eves to contest for Miss Tibet 2010 crown - May 30, 2010
- Four to vie for Miss Tibet crown - May 30, 2010
- Walking the ramp for Tibet, their lost homeland - Jun 02, 2010
- Miss Tibet Beauty Pageant kicks off with swimsuit round - Jun 05, 2010
- Varanasi girl crowned Miss Tibet 2010 - Jun 07, 2010
- Lifetime achievement award for Tibetan opera artist - Oct 16, 2011
- Dalai Lama not to address Tibetans on 'uprising day' - Mar 09, 2012
- Miss Tibet Pageant in June in Himachal - Mar 31, 2009
- Who will lead the Tibetan cause after Dalai Lama? - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: articulation, beauties, beauty contest, beauty pageant, conservative society, current affairs, lakh, language philosophy, lhamo, lobsang, miss tibet, personality development, prize money, rupees, swim suit, tibetan history, tibetan society, tibetan women, traditional costume, yoga dance