DGCA orders investigation into Mumbai Airport incidentFebruary 9th, 2009 - 6:57 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Feb 9 (ANI): In the wake of the Mumbai Airport incident, Director General Civil Aviation (DGCA) Nasim Zaidi has ordered an investigation.
Under Rule 77, Zaidi has appointed Joint DGCA as an inquiry officer for the purpose.
An Indian Airlines pilot of a Delhi bound flight averted a huge tragedy at Mumbai Airport on Monday morning when he applied emergency brakes on spotting an Army helicopter landing just when the aircraft was about to take off.
The helicopter was carrying President Partibha Devisingh Patil’’s convoy.
In his statement today, Zaidi said that the Mumbai Airport, which is the busiest airport in India was witnessing heavy air traffic and operations this morning.
He justified that the Air Traffic Control (ATC) was fully aware of the Presidential visit and was watching the approach movement of the convoy.
As soon as the ATC noticed another aircraft active on the runway, it asked the aircraft to immediately apply breaks and exit through the taxiway.
The Joint DGCA has already started the investigation proceedings in Mumbai.
It may be noted that planes run for about 2-3 kilometers before taking off at very high speed and the Indian Airlines plane had run about 1-1.5 kilometers on the runway when an Army helicopter suddenly landed 50 metres away. (ANI)
- Reports of near-misses in Delhi untrue: Airport authority - May 20, 2011
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- New taxiway at Mumbai airport - Jul 05, 2012
- Main Mumbai airport runway to shut for 8 hours till May - Jan 20, 2012
- Another air disaster averted in Mumbai - Jun 04, 2010
- Major air mishap averted at Mumbai (Lead) - May 27, 2010
- Chinese plane flies from Japan without permission - Nov 30, 2011
- New taxiway to cut congestion at Mumbai airport - Sep 27, 2011
- Air India plane stuck on runway, operations hit - Oct 23, 2010
- Curbs on aircraft to check flight delays in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Ministry to set up Faridabad air crash probe panel - May 26, 2011
- Dog scare at Pakistani Kashmir airport! - Jan 11, 2012
- Two planes collide at Beijing airport - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: 5 kilometers, air traffic control, army helicopter, atc, busiest airport, civil aviation, convoy, dgca, director general, emergency brakes, heavy air, helicopter landing, indian airlines plane, inquiry officer, monday morning, mumbai airport, nasim, planes, taxiway, zaidi