Desperate villagers in Orissa stage anti-mining protestAugust 13th, 2008 - 5:02 am ICT by ANI
Gandhmardhan (Orissa), August 12 (ANI): Desperate villagers in the famous Gandhmardhan hills of Orissa protested to prevent mining in the area by London based Vedanta Group who got the green signal from the Supreme Court to go ahead with its 800 million dollars project to mine bauxite from the area.
About 500 people living in the foothills of Gandhmardhan hill staged a protest against mining in the hills by offering water to Lord Shiva on Tuesday.
The activists of Gandhmardhan Suraksha Yuva Parishad fear that the opencast mine would wreck the rich biodiversity of the hills and disrupt key water sources that supply springs and streams in the area and feed two rivers, which irrigate a large area of farmlands.
The activists believe that nothing can deter them from stopping Vedanta to set up the mine.
“This is a war of the people, said Pradeep Kumar Purohit, Advisor Gandhmardhan Suraksha Samiti.
Purohit also said that they would not allow any company to enter the area.
But, both the state and the central government back the mining project by the Vedanta Group, as efforts to industrialise and exploit the mineral resources of Orissa.
Earlier also, demonstrations were held when Bharat Aluminium Company (Balco) tried to take the lease for bauxite mining in the region. (ANI)
- Protesters halt BALCO's bauxite shipment - Jan 23, 2011
- Orissa tribals protest against setting up of Kalahandi Bauxite mining factory - Jun 07, 2010
- Orissa seeking legal opinion on Vedanta project - Oct 28, 2010
- Balco's bauxite mining displaces Chhattisgarh tribals - Dec 22, 2011
- Sterlite Industries accused of unlawful deforestation in Chhattisgarh - Dec 18, 2010
- Strike hits mining in Chhattisgarh - Feb 28, 2012
- Apex court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Vedanta: Apex court moved against denial of forest clearance - Mar 10, 2011
- Tribals happy after government rejects Vedanta Group's plans for mining in Orissa - Aug 25, 2010
- Supreme Court notice to government on Orissa project - Apr 21, 2011
- Widows seek justice for 'fake encounter' deaths in Orissa - Jan 27, 2011
- Supreme Court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri - Aug 01, 2011
- Orissa protests rejection of Vedanta clearance - Aug 24, 2010
- Vedanta plans to shut down Odisha refinery from December - Sep 06, 2012
- Vedanta refinery cuts output on bauxite shortage - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: activists, aluminium, bauxite, central government, demonstrations, desperate villagers, farmlands, lord shiva, million dollars, mineral resources, mining project, orissa, pradeep kumar, protest, rich biodiversity, streams, supreme court, two rivers, vedanta group, water sources