Deshmukh wants Congress to contest Maharashtra assembly polls aloneMay 17th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, May 17 (ANI): Triumphed with his party’s success in the Lok Sabha elections, former Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Sunday said that he wants the Congress party to go alone in the upcoming assembly polls.
“We want to contest assembly elections in Maharashtra without aligning with any other party. We will put up a proposal before the Congress high command to go alone in Maharashtra assembly elections,” he told reporters here.
The NCP-Congress coalition government has completed nine years in Maharashtra. Deshmukh, who comes with a seven years chief ministerial experience, is a strong supporter of Congress contesting the elections alone.
Deshmukh said Congress party’s experiment of contesting polls on its own in Uttar Pradesh under AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi’s leadership had shown wonderful results.
“We wanted to contest the Lok Sabha elections. We will try to go alone in assembly,” he said.
Deshmukh quashed the idea that Congress fared well in the elections due to the division of votes by presence of MNS candidates in the fray.
“Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s clean image and the leadership of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi were instrumental in the success of Congress,” he said. (ANI)
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress - Jul 21, 2012
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul gets 'proactive', will be Congress no. 2 (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Deshmukh against pre-poll alliance with NCP - Sep 02, 2009
- Time for Rahul to assume bigger role, says Digvijay - Jul 16, 2012
- Deshmukh to head Congress' Maharashtra poll panel - Sep 11, 2009
- New Congress Working Committee announced - Mar 04, 2011
- Clamour grows for larger role in Congress for Rahul (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sushilkumar Shinde: Ex-cop is India's home minister (Profile) - Jul 31, 2012
- 'Congress should contest Maharashtra elections alone' - Jun 27, 2009
- AICC resolution says Deshmukh moved up from grassroots - Aug 15, 2012
- Will sack rebel Bengal Congressmen: Pranab - Apr 03, 2011
- Congress renominates two ministers and Singhvi to Rajya Sabha - Mar 17, 2012
- Rahul ready for 'pro-active' role, to be No 2 in party (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: aicc, chief minister, coalition government, congress party, elections in maharashtra, general secretary, leadership, lok sabha elections, maharashtra assembly elections, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministerial experience, ncp, nine years, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, proposal, rahul gandhi, seven years, sonia gandhi