Deora hints at fuel price hikeJune 16th, 2009 - 3:22 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 15(ANI): Union Petroleum Minister Murli Deora has expressed his concern over the rise in international crude oil prices and said that the government is looking at solutions to tackle the widening revenue deficit, hinting at a rise in petrol and diesel prices.
“We are seriously concerned about the rise in crude oil prices. We have to look for solutions,” Deora told reporters after meeting Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee with his budget wishlist.
“The alternatives before us are raising petrol and diesel prices, asking the government to make up for revenue loss through issuing oil bonds and upstream firms chipping in,” Deora added.
Earlier, there were reports of a possible cut-down in petrol and diesel prices since the crude oil prices came down by $100 from the historic high of 147 dollars a barrel.
However, with the rates climbing again, there are doubts about prices being slashed.
Currently, international crude oil prices are ruling at 71-72 dollars a barrel, which is a seven-month high. (ANI)
- Government considering fuel price hike - Jun 15, 2009
- We will roll back price hike if crude prices stabilize: Deora - Jul 09, 2009
- Oil minister pushes for fuel price hike to curb subsidy (Lead) - Jun 07, 2010
- No alternative to petrol price hike: Deora - Jan 17, 2011
- Ministerial panel to decide on diesel price hike next week (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Govt. monitoring crude oil prices: Mukherjee - Feb 02, 2011
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- Government intervention if crude oil prices turn volatile: Deora - Jul 02, 2010
- Oil firms mulling another price hike - Nov 01, 2011
- 'Oil companies will decide on petrol price hike' - Nov 02, 2011
- Fuel prices in India may rise Rs.3.50 per litre - Jun 06, 2010
- No plans to raise diesel prices, roll back petrol rate: Jaipal - Jan 20, 2011
- Crucial meeting on hiking fuel prices Monday evening - Jun 07, 2010
- Government will check oil price fluctuation: Deora - Oct 27, 2010
- People have to bear some burden of oil price rise: Mukherjee - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: budget, crude oil prices, diesel prices, doubts, finance minister, fuel price hike, international crude oil, murli deora, New Delhi, oil bonds, petrol, petroleum, pranab mukherjee, revenue deficit