Dense fog disrupts air, rail and road traffic in DelhiDecember 26th, 2010 - 11:58 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 26(ANI): A heavy blanket of fog enveloped the national capital on Sunday morning, hitting air and rail services badly.
The visibility levels at the main and the new runways of the Indira Gandhi International Airport dropped to less than 50 metres, which is much below the minimum required levels.
According to reports, the airport was also shut for nearly an hour during which at least 22 flights were cancelled and over 40 others were delayed or diverted.
Around 15 trains were either cancelled or delayed, leaving scores of passengers stranded at the three main railway stations in the capital.
Road traffic was equally chaotic as the motorists tried to navigate through the dense fog.
The region reels under chilly weather with temperatures hovering around six degree Celsius.
North India usually witnesses early morning fog every winter when night temperatures often dip below five degrees Celsius.
According to met department, the foggy condition may continue for another 48 hours. (ANI)
- Fog affects 47 trains (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Fog envelops Delhi, flights disrupted - Feb 17, 2011
- Fog disrupts train services in chilly Delhi (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Fog disrupts flights, trains in chilly Delhi (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Trains, flights disrupted as fog blinds Delhi (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Fogy morning gives way to bright day, cloudy Wednesday likely (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Dense fog affects road, rail, air traffic (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Slight rise in Delhi temperature, fog disrupts trains (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Fog hits air, rail traffic in cold Delhi (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- North India shivers as winter chill continues (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2011
- Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Fog grips Delhi; air, rail traffic hit (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Fog disrupts flight operations at Delhi airport (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- A foggy Saturday awaits Delhiites (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- Slight rise in Delhi temperature, fog disrupts trains (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: another 48 hours, chilly weather, degree celsius, dense fog, five degrees, flights, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, morning fog, motorists, New Delhi, night temperatures, north india, railway stations, road traffic, runways, sunday morning, trains, visibility