Demolition drive to knock down illegal structures in NainitalAugust 9th, 2009 - 10:18 pm ICT by ANI
Nainital (Uttarakhand), Aug. 9 (ANI): Civic authorities in Naintal launched a fresh demolition drive of illegal buildings and structures, which were posing a threat to the fragile landscape and environment of the region, on Sunday.
The natural beauty of Nainital that attracts hordes of tourists every year is gradually fading away with the coming up of several concrete structures, both legal and illegal.
The Supreme Court also had taken a serious view of such developments, forcing the Nainital Development Authority to knock down all these illegal structures.
“We had sealed this building in January. But, despite that, they carried on construction activities. An FIR (First Information Report) has also been lodged against this person. But, still he continued constructing. So, in the end, we had to demolish the building,” said Dheeraj Gabryal, Secretary of Nainital Development Authority.
However, one of the building owners complained that he was not given any prior notice.
“They did not give us notice. If they had given us a notice, we would not have built this,” said Ajiz Ahmed, owner of an unauthorised building.
Environmentalists have maintained that the rapid illegal construction were responsible for the decline of greenery in the city.
“The natural beauty of Nainital is extraordinary. In order to protect its beauty, we should have put a check on construction of several buildings. But, unfortunately, building after building was constructed, both legal and illegal. You can see many unauthorised buildings being demolished,” said Navin Verma, an environmentalist.
Situated at an altitude of 1,938 metres above sea level, Nainital is surrounded by mountains and boasts of a world famous lake named Naini, which is the prime attraction of the city.
Tourists in large numbers throng the city every year to catch a glimpse of its natural beauty, which unfortunately has been marred by the illegal construction activities. (ANI)
- Nainital Tourism to greet summer vacationers - Mar 24, 2011
- MCD demolition drive continues - Dec 03, 2010
- Popular Chennai showrooms sealed for violating norms - Oct 31, 2011
- Apex court slams civic officials for illegal constructions - Jun 01, 2011
- Lavasa attacking me personally: Ramesh - Nov 30, 2010
- MCD demolishes nine buildings in east Delhi - Dec 22, 2010
- ASI demolishes 20 illegal structures near protected monument in Delhi - Sep 21, 2010
- Court halts sealing of illegal buildings in Ahmedabad - May 09, 2011
- Cleaning of Naini Lake begins in Nainital - Aug 14, 2010
- Parts of five buildings demolished in west Delhi - Dec 20, 2010
- MCD demolishes, seals illegal structures - Dec 23, 2010
- Adarsh demolition order made in hurry: Lawyer - Jan 16, 2011
- Musharraf refused certificate for farmhouse - Nov 17, 2011
- Demolish Adarsh building in three months: Environment ministry (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Environment ministry issues notice to Lavasa hill town - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: altitude, civic authorities, concrete structures, construction activities, demolition drive, environmentalist, environmentalists, fir, glimpse, greenery, hordes, illegal construction, illegal structures, information report, large numbers, naini, natural beauty, navin, prime attraction, sea level