Delhites undertake walk for cancer sensitizationFebruary 15th, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 15 (ANI): The streets of New Delhi teemed with people as hundreds of enthusiasts braved the morning chill to undertake a walk for cancer prevention on Sunday.
Organised by CanSupport, an organization working for cancer patients, the ”Walk For Life” saw determined Delhites take a stride against cancer.
The five-kilometer walkathon was flagged off by Gursharan Kaur, wife of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The walkathon was organised with the aim of raising awareness about cancer and also to raise funds for cancer patients in the country.
The event also saw many cancer patients walk shoulder-to-shoulder in this ”Walk For Life”. The event is an annual affair, and every year, lots of enthusiasts take part in it.
There are approximately 2.5 million suffering from cancer in India and around one million new cases are reported every year.
Lung cancer is very common amongst men in Bhopal, Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Kolkata while stomach cancer is prevalent in Bangalore and Chennai.
Prostrate cancer is also one of the leading causes of cancer amongst men. In women, the common types of cancer are breast and cervical. (ANI)
- Delhi hosts walkathon for public awareness on cancer - Feb 07, 2010
- Prime minister's wife leads walk for cancer - Feb 07, 2010
- Dignitaries, celebrities to walk for cancer Sunday - Feb 03, 2010
- Need to create awareness about cancer of cervix: Doctors - Mar 08, 2012
- Delhiites walk to mark cancer day - Feb 06, 2011
- Dikshit flags off cancer awareness walk - Nov 06, 2011
- Cervical cancer leading cancer-killer among Indian women - Mar 28, 2012
- Sanitary napkins can reduce cervical cancer risk: Survey - Feb 08, 2011
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer For Awareness Month - Oct 02, 2010
- Walk to raise awareness about cancer in Delhi - Feb 15, 2009
- PM's wife, diplomats join Delhi walk on cancer threat (Lead) - Feb 15, 2009
- Divya Dutta to walk the ramp for a cause - Jun 19, 2011
- FDA approves prostate cancer drug Jevtana - Jun 18, 2010
- Murli Deora flags off walkathon for 'Petrotech 2010' in New Delhi - Oct 24, 2010
- Changing lifestyle toughens India's cancer battle (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, bangalore, cancer patients, cancer prevention, causes of cancer, kolkata, leading causes of cancer, lung cancer, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prostrate cancer, sensitization, shoulder to shoulder, stomach cancer, streets of new delhi, suffering from cancer, types of cancer, walkathon