Delhi University polls: ABVP wins one, NSUI bags other threeSeptember 6th, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Sept 6 (ANI): Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) on Saturday won the president’’s post in the Delhi University Students” Union (DUSU) elections while the National Students” Union of India (NSUI) bagged the other three top posts.
ABVP’’s Nupur Sharma defeated NSUIs Sonia Sapra by 1,639 votes to become the new DUSU president. Sharma got 10,345 votes, DU election officials said after the counting of votes, in which about 65 officials were engaged from 9:00 a.m.
Congress-affiliated NSUI won the vice president, general secretary and joint secretary seats defeating its nearest BJP-affiliated ABVP rivals.
NSUI’’s Manohar Naagar was elected to the post of vice president and Amit Chaudhary won the general secretary post, while Ashish Gehlot won the joint secretary post.
Congress” student wing NSUI has been dominating the students” union for the last five years.
The polls were conducted on Friday at 36 booths in the north campus and affiliating colleges in which an estimated 40 per cent voters turned up to cast votes.
Of about 80,000 voters, around 30,000 participated in the polls to elect president, vice president, secretary and joint secretary of DUSU with the main contest between candidates of ABVP and NSUI. (ANI)
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- Polling begins in Delhi University and JNU - Sep 14, 2012
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- DUSU polls end, results on Saturday (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- ABVP sweeps DUSU elections - Sep 04, 2010
- SFI wins Himachal university polls - Aug 23, 2012
- Delhi University election results announced - Sep 10, 2011
- ABVP tops in Delhi University polls - Sep 04, 2010
- Nupur Sharma of ABVP is new DUSU president (Lead) - Sep 06, 2008
- Delhi university gets a president from ABVP for a change - Sep 06, 2008
- 40 percent turnout in Delhi varsity student union polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- JNU painted Red as AISA sweeps polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- After 18 years, an independent is DUSU chief (Night Lead) - Sep 05, 2009
- After 18 years, an independent is DUSU chief (Lead) - Sep 05, 2009