Delhi to host SAARC Police ConferenceNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:40 am ICT by admin
All member States will participate in these meetings. The newest member State of SAARC, Afghanistan, would be participating in the three meetings for the first time.
These meetings will continue the exchange of apex level ideas/perspectives on issues of criticality and work towards enhancement of cooperation in security management and related issues.
At the 14th SAARC Summit held in New Delhi, the Heads of Government emphasized the importance of increased cooperation in security related areas, especially the need to combat terrorism, narcotics and psychotropic substances, trafficking in women and children and other trans-national crimes.
They had also expressed their commitment to take every possible measure to prevent and suppress, in particular, financing of terrorist acts and counter trafficking of narcotic drugs and illicit arms.
Capacity building, institutional arrangements and multi-lateral agreements will be at the core of these deliberations at all three levels. The forthcoming meetings are, thus, expected to deliberate on among others, a network of cooperation amongst police chiefs, SAARC visa exemption scheme, a Draft Convention on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters, greater strength to existing mechanisms of cooperation in drugs, terrorism and trafficking.
As SAARC member States are signatories to the SAARC Regional Convention on Suppression of Terrorism and its additional Protocol and SAARC Convention on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, the deliberations are expected to witness increased dynamism within the existing and newly set up institutional mechanisms, namely, the SAARC Terrorism Offences Monitoring Desk (STOMD) and the SAARC Drug Offences Monitoring Desk (STOMD) flowing from these conventions. (ANI)
- Pakistan, Bangladesh stay off SAARC anti-terror meet - Feb 09, 2012
- Chidambaram in Thimphu for SAARC security conference - Jul 22, 2011
- Chidambaram expresses concern over increasing terror threat to SAARC region - Jun 26, 2010
- Three-day SAARC conference begins today - Nov 14, 2007
- Chidambaram, Malik co-travellers for SAARC security conference (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2011
- India talks tough on terror - ahead of dialogue - Jul 23, 2011
- Drug trafficking a threat to global stability - Nov 22, 2011
- SAARC pledges coordinated anti-terror action (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- India among top drugs hotspots: UN report (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- South Asia's leaders to accelerate trade, to jointly combat terror - Nov 11, 2011
- SAARC meet to side step the most serious issue of terrorism - Jun 24, 2010
- India and Turkmenistan agree to cooperate against global terror - May 26, 2010
- South Asia to accelerate trade, combat terror (Roundup) - Nov 12, 2011
- Nepal to check fake currency influx into India - Jan 16, 2012
- 'Medicines containing narcotic drugs misused in South Asia' - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: conference india, cooperation, desk, draft convention, drug offences, dynamism, exemption scheme, forthcoming meetings, illicit arms, institutional mechanisms, member states, mutual legal assistance, narcotic drugs, police conference, psychotropic substances, regional convention, saarc, terrorism, trafficking, visa exemption