Delhi Public Library opens first computerised sub-branchApril 9th, 2009 - 8:53 pm ICT by ANI
By Sandeep Datta
New Delhi, April 9 (ANI): Delhi Public Library has opened a fully computerised sub-branch library at Vinobha Puri near Lajpat Nagar II in the capital, which offers computerised library services, free lending services and a modernised children section.
Besides, new facilities like free Internet and DVD/CD lending services will also be introduced very soon for the DPL members here.
“This is the first sub-branch of DPL which is automated since inception. New features like borrowing of books, provision for studying library books, reference material, and other things have been introduced here,” said a senior official of Delhi Public Library on Thursday.
:About 3,000 books have been kept at the sub-branch for its members. But the special attraction is a special children’s section where kids can play, read, and enjoy in a cosy environment. Educational and recreational toys have also been kept for their pleasure. There are about 1,500 separate books, meant just for kids here,” the official further informed.
Delhi Public Library recently had made its catalogue online with Koha open-sources library software for the benefit of readers to enable users from across the world and DPL members to access the latest catalogue of Delhi Public Library system at www.dpl.gov.in or www.delhipubilclibrary.in.
All services offered at the DPL are free to the library members.
DPL, an autonomous organisation under the Ministry of Culture, has initiated modernisation of its main branches since last year. Under the modernisation programme, library has introduced free Internet Service, revamped Children’s Sections and free DVD/CD lending service to the members of the Central Library at S.P. Mukherjee Marg (near Old Delhi Railway Station) and Patel Nagar libraries. (ANI)
- Delhi Public Library cancels week-long exhibition - Feb 03, 2010
- Delhi Public Library books catalogue will now be available online - Oct 01, 2008
- Modernising libraries will take time: Government - Mar 10, 2010
- Delhi Public Library, the latest happening place in national capital - Apr 06, 2008
- Delhi Public Library hosts a weeklong exhibition for book lovers - Feb 01, 2010
- Shanghai libraries come together to woo readers - Jun 15, 2012
- Delhi Public Library turns 60, to showcase India's growth - Jan 28, 2010
- One card for over 100 Beijing libraries - Mar 12, 2012
- Harry Potter eBooks come to Amazon Kindle library - May 11, 2012
- Over 90 percent post offices now computerised - Sep 03, 2011
- Delhi to host India's first 'Newseum' - Jan 31, 2010
- Four cultural institutions failed to utilise government grant: PM - Jan 16, 2010
- RBI, 926 branches of banks to accept advance income tax - Nov 10, 2011
- A coaching centre for the poor - inside a police station! - Mar 25, 2012
- E-governance to wipe out touts in Tripura: Minister - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: autonomous organisation, branch library, cosy environment, datta, delhi public library, free internet service, lajpat nagar, library books, library members, library software, marg, ministry of culture, modernisation programme, old delhi, open sources, patel nagar, public library system, railway station, recreational toys, sandeep