Delhi Public Library hosts a weeklong exhibition for book loversFebruary 1st, 2010 - 8:24 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb.1 (ANI): Delhi Public Library (DPL) has organized an exhibition of books and audiovisual archives that capture and showcase unique exhibits encompassing last 60 years and more.
The exhibition is meant to showcase DPL’s role as an institution that provides the public with information and insights into India’s polity, society, and culture.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit inaugurated the exhibition (Feb.1 to Feb.6) at the Lalit Kala Academy grounds, Copernicus Marg here on Monday afternoon. Also present on this occasion were former Union Minister Dr. Karan Singh, and Cultural Secretary, Jawahar Sarkar.
“The exhibition features distinctive events-a display of rare and old books from the library’s own collection as well as loaned from other libraries, a rewind of historic milestones, a rare music collection for the listening pleasure of guests, a potpourri of advertisements, articles, and cartoons especially extracted from newspapers of the last many decades, an outstanding documentary on the formative years of Doordarshan, Author meets, the finals of Storytelling competitions for children, and a Bonsai manipulation demonstration to inculcate hobbies,” said Dr. Banwari Lal, Director of Delhi Public Library.
During the weeklong exhibition, DPL is also holding a national seminar in collaboration with Raja Rammohan Roy Library Foundation (RRRLF) on “Public Libraries of the Future and the Changing Expectations of Users” on Feb.5, 2010 at the same venue.
The inaugural function of the seminar will be followed by three technical sessions. The objective of the seminar is to discuss the change in reading habits and opinions of Librarians, Administrators, Publishers, and Authors and, of course, the reading public.
Delhi Public Library is an autonomous organization under Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India and provides free library services to the people in Delhi through its 60 service points. (ANI)
- Delhi Public Library cancels week-long exhibition - Feb 03, 2010
- Delhi Public Library turns 60, to showcase India's growth - Jan 28, 2010
- Delhi to host India's first 'Newseum' - Jan 31, 2010
- Library commission put in cold storage - Aug 30, 2011
- SAHMAT observes 75 years of Progressive Writers' Association - Oct 12, 2011
- India Post inaugurates National Philatelic Museum - Jul 11, 2011
- Kolkata's big library of little magazines (Feature, With Images) - Aug 10, 2011
- Ashish Soni completes 20 years in fashion world, set to celebrate (With Image) - Feb 09, 2012
- Budget allocation for culture drops marginally - Feb 26, 2010
- New ICCR website inaugurated - May 28, 2010
- In summer of peace, Pakistani designer wear wows Kashmir (With Images) - Jun 12, 2012
- "Treasures of Ancient China" exhibition opens in Delhi tomorrow - Feb 18, 2011
- Exhibition showcases unique bonsai varieties in Bhopal - Mar 26, 2011
- At 61, National Museum to get a facelift - Oct 09, 2010
- Mohan Khokar collection to bring alive century of Indian dance (With Image) - Jul 16, 2011
Tags: academy grounds, audiovisual archives, autonomous organization, delhi public library, distinctive events, doordarshan, dr karan singh, free library services, govt of india, inaugural function, jawahar, lalit kala academy, library foundation, national seminar, public libraries, raja rammohan roy, reading habits, reading public, society and culture, technical sessions