Delhi police detains eight persons in connection with Saturdays serial blastsSeptember 14th, 2008 - 9:20 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 14 (ANI): Delhi Police has detained eight people, who are being questioned, in connection with Saturday’’s serial blasts that left 21 dead and over 90 injured.
However, there have been no arrests so far.
Rajan Bhagat, the Delhi Police spokesman said, “We have got vital leads” but declined to give details saying “we will solve the case soon”.
Joint teams of central security agencies and police were questioning the suspects, who are believed to have links with the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) outfit.
Delhi police is getting sketches of suspected bombers drawn with the help of five eyewitnesses including a teenage balloon seller, who claimed to have seen them placing packets in the dustbins at Central Park in Connaught Place.
Initial probe pointed to a group belonging to western Uttar Pradesh.
Police teams have been sent to neighbouring UP and Rajasthan.
The role of Mumbai-resident Mohammed Subhan Quereshi, suspected SIMI activist, was being probed, according to reports.
Police believe that Quereshi could have hacked the WiFI system in Mumbai to send the terror email to various media houses.
Indian Mujahideen, the group responsible for the serial blasts in Jaipur, Bangalore and Ahmedabad, claimed responsibility for the blasts through an email sent to news organisations around the same time when the explosions occurred.
On Saturday, five bombs went off in less than half an hour. Two of them in the heart of Delhi in Connaught Place, two at the upscale Greater Kailash M-Block market in South Delhi, and one, the most damaging one, in the crowded Ghaffar Market in Karol Bagh. (ANI)
- We have vital leads in serial blast, says Delhi police - Sep 15, 2008
- Interpol alerted on main suspect in Delhi blasts - Sep 16, 2008
- 2008 Delhi serial blasts: Court to frame charges Feb 21 (Second lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Mumbai cops in Ahmedabad to quiz IM operative - Jul 16, 2011
- Arguments of three more Delhi blasts accused over - Aug 19, 2010
- Delhi serial blasts: Charges to be framed Feb 21 (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Charges framed against 13 in Delhi blasts of 2008 - May 06, 2011
- Varanasi blast: Two detained in Mumbai for terror email - Dec 08, 2010
- Terror e-mail holds back shoppers in Delhi, suburbs - Sep 13, 2011
- Charge sheets filed against a Delhi blasts accused - Sep 17, 2009
- Indian Mujahideen claims responsibility for Varanasi blast - Dec 07, 2010
- 2008 Delhi blasts: memories linger, lessons yet to be learnt - Sep 13, 2012
- Ahmedabad blasts accused brought to Delhi - Sep 18, 2008
- Air India call centre receives call threatening attack on Mumbai - Sep 14, 2008
- Varanasi terror e-mails tracked to Navi Mumbai - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: ahmedabad, central park, central security, connaught place, delhi police, dustbins, eyewitnesses, initial probe, islamic movement, jaipur, kailash, karol bagh, media houses, police spokesman, police teams, security agencies, serial blasts, south delhi, subhan, uttar pradesh police