Delhi HC upholds conviction of Nanda in BMW hit and run caseJuly 20th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 20 (ANI): The Delhi High Court has upheld the conviction of Sanjeev Nanda in the infamous BMW hit and run case, in which six persons were killed in 1999.
Justice Kailash Gambhir however reduced Nanda’s jail term from five to two years.
Nanda, a grandson of former Navy Chief Admiral S.M. Nanda, killed six persons while driving a BMW car in an inebriated condition in the wee hours of January 10, 1999 in the Lodhi Colony area of South Delhi.
Besides Nanda, the court had also sentenced Rajiv Gupta and Bhola Nath to a year and six months in jail, respectively.
Justice Gambhir also ordered for a criminal prosecution against controversial witness Sunil Kulkarni.
Earlier, Justice Gambhir had reserved his verdict in May. Challenging his conviction by a trial court, Nanda argued that the lower court had convicted him under media pressure.
The court convicted Nanda under the Section 304 (2) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), dealing with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. (ANI)
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- R.K. Anand offers apology - Jan 18, 2011
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Delhi High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Mar 06, 2009
- High Court refuses to extend Sanjeev Nanda''s interim bail - Jan 09, 2009
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Dec 19, 2008
- Court likely to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate Monday - Jul 19, 2009
- Delhi High Court reduces jail term of BMW case convict (Lead) - Jul 20, 2009
- Delhi Court issues notice to police on Sanjeev Nanda plea - Sep 23, 2008
- BMW hit and run case: Delhi court order on Nanda`s bail plea today - Oct 04, 2008
- BMW hit and run case: Delhi court rejects Nanda`s bail plea - Oct 04, 2008
Tags: admiral, bhola, bmw, bmw car, conviction, criminal prosecution, culpable homicide, delhi hc, delhi high court, indian penal code, jail term, kailash, nanda, navy chief, New Delhi, rajiv gupta, six months, south delhi, trial court, wee hours