Delhi HC grants bail to BJP MP in human trafficking caseMay 28th, 2008 - 9:44 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 28 (ANI): The Delhi High Court today granted bail to suspended BJP MP Babubhai Katara who has been chargesheeted for allegedly taking a woman and her son abroad on his wifes diplomatic passport last year.
A division bench headed by Justice H R Malhotra asked Katara, the Lok Sabha MP from Gujarat, to furnish a bail bond of Rs 25,000 and a surety of same amount.
Since April last year, Katara was in jail and charged with human trafficking and cheating people.
The court accepted Kataras plea that he has been in custody for more than a year and the investigation is over but police was trying to frame him in other cases and he would not get a fair trial in the case.
In the bail application, filed through counsel V Madhukar, Katara claimed that the investigation by police against his involvement in the trafficking and cheating case was over as the agency had filed two charge sheets before the trial court so far.
On April 18, last year, Katara along with Paramjeet Kaur, the woman who was trying to travel on Katara’s wife’s passport, and her son were arrested at the IGI Airport by the police just before they were to board a flight to Toronto.
The three accused have been booked under various sections of the IPC related to forgery, cheating, impersonation and criminal conspiracy.
During investigations, police sources said that Kataras aide had struck a deal with an agent for Rs 30 lakh, of which Rs 15 lakh had already been paid.
They were nabbed from the IGI Airport after the alleged fraud was detected by an Air India staff who found that the woman and boy were posing as MPs wife Shardaben and son Rajesh respectively. (ANI)
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Delhi Police arrests former cricketer wanted in human trafficking case - Apr 27, 2011
- 2G case: Shahid Balwa gets bail, Chandolia's plea pending (Second Lead) - Nov 29, 2011
- Rs.25,000 reward for information on ex-cricketer - Apr 21, 2011
- Kalmadi gets bail after nine months in jail (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Woman posing as PMO official arrested - Jan 25, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Slain Congress leader's wife wants trial in Mumbai - Mar 11, 2012
- Babubhai Katara gets bail - May 28, 2008
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Apex court gives bail to suspended Gujarat bureaucrat (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea - Jan 19, 2012
- Cash-in-bag scam: Ex-judge told to appear in trial court - Aug 19, 2011
- Maid torture: Doctor's wife gets bail (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal to pay Rs.16 lakh for security - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: air india, babubhai katara, bail bond, bjp, charge sheets, criminal conspiracy, delhi hc, delhi high court, diplomatic passport, division bench, forgery, gujarat, hc grants, human trafficking, impersonation, lakh, Lok Sabha, madhukar, malhotra, police sources