Delhi Govt may revise auto, taxi fares on MondayJune 20th, 2010 - 8:55 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 20 (ANI): The Delhi Government may announce revised fares for taxi and auto-rikshaws services in the National Capital Region (NCR) on Monday.
The Sheila Dikshit led government is under tremendous pressure from auto and taxi unions to announce the revised fares in the wake of a rise in the price of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG).
Revising auto-rikshaw and taxi fares is expected to be at the top of the agenda of Monday’s Delhi Cabinet meeting.
With the government hinting at a revision of fares, the taxi and auto unions have withdrawn their proposed strike on Monday, but said they will go for it if the government does not increase the fares by Tuesday.
According to sources, the Delhi Transport Department has already submitted its views on the matter to the chief minister’s office (CMO).
At present, auto-rikshaw charge Rs.10 for the first kilometre and thereafter Rs.4.50 for each subsequent kilometre, while taxis charge Rs 15 for the first kilometre and Rs.8.50 for each subsequent kilometres.
The unions want the state government to nearly double the fares.
Reportedly, fare charges to be increased by Rs.5 for the first kilometre, and for the rest it may be about 30 to 35 percent.
Meanwhile, private bus associations have also demanded a revision of the current fare due to the CNG price hike.
CNG price was hiked from Rs.21.90 to Rs.27.60. (ANI)
- Delhi govt clears hike in auto fares - Jun 21, 2010
- Auto, taxi fares in Delhi likely to go up - Jun 20, 2010
- Delhi clears hike in auto, taxi fares - Jun 21, 2010
- Delhi auto, taxi fares set to zoom (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2010
- Delhi clears hike in auto, taxi fares (Lead) - Jun 21, 2010
- Auto, taxi fare charges likely to increase in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012
- Delhi auto, taxi rides costlier (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- CNG costs Rs.5.60 more a kg from midnight in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- CNG prices raised up to Rs.2 a kg in NCR (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Auto, taxi fares hiked in Delhi - Jun 22, 2010
- Auto fares hiked after flash strike in Mumbai (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Mumbai taxis, auto-rickshaws on strike - Jun 22, 2010
- Auto drivers to meet transport official over CNG hike - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: auto unions, cabinet meeting, charge rs, chief minister, cmo, compressed natural gas, delhi government, delhi govt, kilometre, kilometres, ncr, price hike, private bus, rikshaw, rs 21, sheila dikshit, taxi fares, taxi unions, taxis charge, transport department