Delhi Government to phase out Blueline buses from JulyJune 3rd, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 4 (ANI): Ahead of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, the Delhi Government has decided to start phasing out of Blueline buses from July onwards by replacing them with modern buses over a period of next five months.
The Shiela Dikshit-led Delhi Government had announced last year that it would phase out the buses since witnessing a big public outcry over Blueline buses after being blamed to be involved in a number of road accidents involving several deaths.
Arvinder Singh Lovely, Delhi’s Transport Minister has told media that the phase out of Blueline buses would start from July onwards and take at least five months to conclude the entire process. Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) would have a fleet of around 5,000 modern buses during the Commonwealth Games.
The government wants to put in place a modern bus fleet ahead of the forthcoming games in the city.
At present, nearly 2,200 Blue line buses are plying on the city’s roads. Apart from the existing low floor buses, the city will get another lot of 2,500 vehicles in next couple of months.
The Cabinet has shown ‘green signal’ to Delhi Transport Corporation to procure 1,000 semi-low floor buses to augment the fleet of modern buses in the national capital. (ANI)
- Blueline buses not to return to Delhi roads - Oct 25, 2010
- Court backs government on phasing out Blueline buses - Nov 01, 2010
- Delhi to decide on return of Blueline buses after Oct 25 - Oct 18, 2010
- Blueline buses get brief lease of life (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- 911 more low-floor buses in Delhi before Games - Jul 28, 2010
- Fate of blueline buses in Delhi to be decided today - Oct 25, 2010
- Blueline buses to breath their last in June 2012 (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Delhi to add 4,000 buses to tide over Blueline phaseout - Jan 13, 2011
- 500 more low-floor buses to ply on Delhi roads - Sep 29, 2010
- Court ruling on Blueline buses Thursday - Mar 02, 2011
- Cluster bus service launched in Delhi - May 05, 2011
- No mercy for Bluelines, they will go, says Dikshit - Oct 26, 2010
- CWG makeover? DTC back to plying old buses (Year after CWG) - Oct 01, 2011
- Contracts signed for four more bus clusters in Delhi - Nov 01, 2010
- Deadline to phase out Blueline buses extended (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, blueline buses, bus fleet, deaths, delhi government, dikshit, dtc, five months, floor buses, forthcoming games, line buses, New Delhi, public outcry, road accidents, shiela, transport corporation, transport minister