Delhi court extends diplomat Madhuri Gupta’s judicial custodyMay 29th, 2010 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 29 (ANI): A Delhi Court on Saturday extended the judicial custody of diplomat Madhuri Gupta for another 14 days.
Gupta was arrested by the Indian intelligence officials on charges of spying for Pakistan on April 22.
Earlier on May 21, a Delhi court had dismissed her bail application, saying that charges against her were grave in nature.
In her bail plea, Gupta, facing charges under the Official Secrets Act, had submitted that she was no more required for the purpose of investigation.
Arguing her bail application, counsel Joginder Dahiya referred to a statement made by Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur on April 29 in Parliament and said that she was posted in the information wing of the Indian mission at Islamabad and had no access to any classified documents.
The counsel also submitted that Gupta was a chronic patient of blood pressure and had high sugar level.
Additional Public Prosecutor Rita Sharma opposed the bail application on the ground that some officials were yet to be examined by the investigators with regard to the case registered against her.
A promotee officer in the External Affairs Ministry, Gupta was working in the Indian mission at Islamabad for nearly three years.
She was well-versed in Urdu and her services had been utilised for translation and interpretation. (ANI)
- Court rejects Madhuri Gupta's bail plea (Lead) - May 21, 2010
- Chargesheet filed against Madhuri Gupta for spying - Jul 20, 2010
- Madhuri Gupta sent to 14 day judicial custody - May 01, 2010
- Indian woman diplomat held for spying for Pakistan's ISI (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Madhuri Gupta says she is being framed (Second Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Gupta passed Afghan information to ISI, probe on (Lead) - Apr 28, 2010
- Gupta did not have access to highly classified material: minister - Apr 29, 2010
- Spying case: Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta granted bail (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Court extends Madhuri Gupta's judicial custody - May 16, 2010
- Spy case: Chargesheet filed against Madhuri Gupta (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010
- Spying case: Diplomat allowed to visit heritage sites - Apr 26, 2012
- Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta charged for spying - Jul 20, 2010
- Diplomat spy's judicial custody extended - Jul 10, 2010
- Spying case: Court notice to diplomat Madhuri Gupta (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Court grants bail to BJP leader Gupta - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: april 29, bail plea, delhi court, diplomat, external affairs ministry, gupta, information wing, intelligence officials, islamabad, joginder, judicial custody, kaur, minister of state, official secrets, public prosecutor, rita sharma, secrets act, sugar level, translation and interpretation, urdu