Delhi court accepts CBI plea in Bofors payoff caseMarch 4th, 2011 - 5:53 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 4 (ANI): A Delhi court on Friday accepted the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) plea to shut the Bofors payoff case against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi.
The verdict of the court comes as a relief for Quattrocchi, as the CBI will now withdraw its case against him.
Passing its judgement said, the court said all attempts to extradite Quattrocchi failed in 25 years.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav had earlier on February 21 deferred his order on the CBI plea seeking withdrawal of the case against Quattrocchi, who has never appeared before any court in India to face trial.
Earlier, the CBI had pleaded before the court that the ruling of income tax appellate tribunal in Bofors pay offs case is ‘nothing new’ and its application for withdrawing the proceedings against Quattrocchi should be allowed.
An income tax tribunal in its order issued earlier, indicated how much money Quattrocchi and Win Chaddha were paid by Bofors as bribes.
The kickbacks violated rules, as a middleman is illegal in defence deals in India. Therefore, Quattrocchi and Chaddha are liable to pay income tax on bribe money they got while living in India.
It also claimed that due to the kickbacks, India had to pay almost Rs. 160 crore extra for the guns.
The Bofors scandal was a major corruption scandal in India in the 1980s. The then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi and several others were accused of receiving kickbacks from Bofors AB who were awarded the contract for the supply of 155 mm field howitzers. (ANI)
- Bofors payoff case: Delhi court verdict on Quattrocchi today - Mar 04, 2011
- Bofors payoff case: Decision on Quattrocchi's fate deferred till March 4 - Feb 21, 2011
- Bofors scam: Decision on Ottavio Quattrocchi case today - Jan 06, 2011
- Delhi court to decide on CBI's closure report in Bofors case - Jan 04, 2011
- Delhi court pulls up CBI in Bofors scam case - Feb 10, 2011
- Delhi court upholds CBI plea in Bofors scam, next hearing in Feb - Jan 06, 2011
- BJP takes on PM, Sonia in Bofors scandal - Jan 05, 2011
- Bofors case: Delhi Court adjourns hearing till Jan. 6 - Jan 04, 2011
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Second Lead, superseding previous story) - Apr 25, 2012
- Chronology: Bofors graft row over last 25 years - Apr 25, 2012
- BJP slams UPA Govt., alleges Bofors scam reached Gandhi's doorstep - Jan 09, 2011
- Bofors deal: Decision on dropping Quattrocchi cases Feb 21 - Feb 10, 2011
- BJP pulls up Congress, demands SIT probe in Bofors case - Jan 03, 2011
- Gadkari questions relations between Gandhis, Quattrocchi - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: appellate tribunal, bofors scandal, bribe money, bribes, cbi, central bureau of investigation, corruption scandal, crore, defence deals, delhi court, income tax, italian businessman, judgement, kickbacks, magistrate, middleman, ottavio quattrocchi, plea, rajiv gandhi, tax tribunal