Delhi cop arrested for taking bribe from kidney scam accusedFebruary 15th, 2008 - 4:46 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb.15 (ANI): An Assistant Sub Inspector of the Delhi Police was today arrested for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 19 lakh from the driver of an accused in the kidney racket to let them go scot-free.
“ASI Ravinder Kumar Singh was arrested yesterday for accepting a bribe of more than Rs 19 lakh from the driver of Dr Upendra,” Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Satyendra Garg said.
Six other policemen allegedly involved in the case are absconding. Efforts are on to nab the policemen on the run and raids are being conducted in various parts of the city to catch them, Garg said.
Singh and six other policemen had allegedly accepted the bribe last month from the driver of Dr Upendra, one of the main accused in the Gurgaon kidney racket, after they were picked up.
Garg said a case under Section 384 of IPC (extortion) has been slapped against the policemen. If found guilty, they could be jailed for up to three years or fine or both.
On Friday, a Central Bureau of Investigation team raided the house of Sonia, the second wife of kingpin of the multi-crore kidney racket, Amit Kumar, in Jammu’s Digiana area. Official sources said female family members were questioned for almost five hours.
They also seized some vital documents and property papers in the name of Kumar’s wife, who is looking after the business establishments in Canada. The Enforcement Directorate and the CBI is probing documents connected with these foreign properties.
Dr Amit Kumar, the alleged kingpin in kidney transplant racket, has been remanded to CBI custody till February 22. (ANI)
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011
- Brigadier held in defence canteen scam - Jul 03, 2012
- CBI arrests senior Revenue Intelligence official for graft - Mar 07, 2012
- CBI arrests four for defence canteen racket - Jul 01, 2012
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- Anti-corruption raids of officials yields crores - Jan 13, 2012
- Three customs, port employees nabbed for accepting bribes - May 27, 2011
- Fake currency racket busted in Kolkata, four held - Jun 11, 2010
- Colonel arrested for bribery in Kashmir - Nov 30, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh engineer owns assets worth Rs.100 crore - Feb 26, 2011
- CBI raids homes of Yeddyurappa and family - May 16, 2012
- Some of our staff knew of kidney racket, admits Delhi Police - Feb 15, 2008
- BJP leader's son named in fake pilot scam - May 26, 2011
- Delhi Traffic Police Facebook page has over a lakh followers - Feb 21, 2012
- We'll soon free city of dangerous drivers: Delhi Police - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: bribe, business establishments, cbi, central bureau of investigation, commissioner of police, crime branch, crore, delhi police, digiana, enforcement directorate, female family members, free asi, garg, investigation team, kidney transplant, kingpin, lakh, police crime, upendra, vital documents