Delhi budget may include tough measures by GovernmentJune 21st, 2009 - 8:18 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 20 (ANI): In the wake of global financial meltdown, the Delhi Government is likely to recommend some tough measures in the state budget which is to be unveiled on Monday, said Government officials.
According to senior officials with the Delhi Government, as the revenue fell by over Rs 1,300 crore during the year 2008-09, the Government may feel compelled to undertake some harsh measures to improve its financial position.
As the Delhi Jal Board (DJB) and the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) are struggling with its financial health, the budget could also see an announcement of increase in water and transport tariff.
However, Delhi’s Finance Minister A K Walia is expected to assign extra money for infrastructure projects relating to next year’s Commonwealth Games.
The budget may also address the issue of whether to carry on with Rs 200 crore yearly subsidies to power discoms, which is given to keep the tariff level at the level of 2004-05. The subsidy period expired on May 31. (ANI)
- Delhi budget to be presented today - Jun 22, 2009
- Allow consumers to choose electricity source: CII - Oct 30, 2011
- Cabinet approves National Electricity Fund (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Water crisis in Delhi as Haryana cuts supply (With Image) - Jun 16, 2012
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sewage lines to be repaired in east Delhi - Jan 06, 2011
- Delhi budget: More funds for public transport, education, health - Mar 22, 2010
- Vikas Marg sewer line improvement to cost Delhi Govt. Rs.10 crore - Jan 05, 2011
- Delhi to extend financial help to BSES - Dec 27, 2011
- Public power transmission companies face losses: Shinde - Nov 22, 2010
- Delhi homes hit by 20 percent power rate hike - Jun 26, 2012
- Sheila Dikshit calls power tariff hike 'inevitable' - Jul 02, 2012
- Panel proposes hiking income tax exemption limit to Rs.3 lakh - Mar 09, 2012
- Fertiliser subsidies not improving production: Official auditor - Aug 05, 2011
- Government subsidy burden at 10-year high - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: commonwealth games, crore, delhi government, delhi jal board djb, dtc, extra money, finance minister, financial health, financial meltdown, financial position, government officials, harsh measures, infrastructure projects, jal, rs 1, rs 200, senior officials, state budget, transport corporation, walia