Dehradun’’s Mahila Bachat Bank provides help to needy womenMarch 11th, 2009 - 5:25 pm ICT by ANI
Dehradun, Mar 11 (ANI): For providing loans and other financial facilities to needy women, a group of women here in Uttarakhand have opened a bank named the Mahila Bachat (Womens Saving) Bank.
A group of women started the bank and put their savings here. They can even apply for loans at the bank.
The bank has made women here self-reliant. Some have even started their own ventures after taking loans.
The aim of opening this bank was to provide an opportunity to those women who wanted to earn on their own. Usually, women undergo various forms of training to start their own venture, but due to a lack of funds, were unable to do so. So, we thought why not start our own bank? The bank holds meetings every month and deposits money. The money is then given to needy women, said Kiran Negi, the chairman of the bank.
Women having accounts in the bank said they were happy to save their hard-earned money.
We are very happy with the bank. We get three times now than before, said Asha Pandey, an account holder.
The bank has already provided loans to 65 women, and at present has a fund of around Rs. 10 lakh. (ANI)
- An all women savings bank in rural area of Dehradun - Mar 12, 2009
- 'Women's only' bank in Jammu and Kashmir - May 19, 2009
- Micro-financing empowers women in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 09, 2012
- Micro finance helping poor in rural Assam - Dec 20, 2010
- Tripura rural market moves towards prosperity - Jun 27, 2010
- 95-year-old duped of over Rs.22 lakh - Oct 08, 2011
- Herbal medicine becoming source of livelihood for Nainital women - Apr 10, 2011
- Melinda Gates pledges $500 mn more for world's poor - Nov 18, 2010
- Adding self-reliance to conservation, with jams and jellies - Feb 13, 2012
- Home loan subvention scheme extended to fishermen - Mar 11, 2011
- Loan subvention scheme extended to fishermen (Lead, superseding previous story) - Mar 11, 2011
- Traditional artwork exhibition held in Kolkata - Feb 20, 2011
- Small borrowers rely on moneylenders: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- India's biggest women's grassroots chain connects to Africa - Jul 09, 2012
- UPA aims at women's self-reliance: Sonia - May 11, 2011