Defence Minister to dedicate AWACS in service of nation todayMay 28th, 2009 - 11:07 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 28 (ANI): Defence Minister A K Antony will dedicate the Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) to the nation on Thursday.
The first of the three Indian Air Force (IAF) AWACS platform landed on Indian soil escorted by the venerable Mig-29 and Jaguar fighters at the IAF’s Jamnagar airbase, on Monday.
The AWACS is a tripartite venture amongst India, Russia and Israel.
The IAF laid down the operational requirements in detail based on which the Israeli ‘Phalcon’ radar was mounted on the Russian IL-76 aircraft equipped with the more powerful PS-90A engines making it more advanced than many such systems.
This is the first of a total of three AWACS that the IAF is slated to receive.
The remaining two are expected to be inducted into the IAF by 2010 and all the AWACS would be based at Agra.
India is one of the few countries to have inducted the AWACS in their Air Forces.
The AWACS is a true ‘force-multiplier’ that gives a quantum jump to the operational capabilities of the Indian Air Force.
Known as the Air Force’s ‘Eye in the Sky’, it is capable of detecting intruders over sea and land at large distances.
It has many other capabilities including Electronic and Signal Intelligence gathering.
Once operationalised alongwith the Operational Data Link (ODL), Integrated Air Command and Control System (IACCS) and the Air Force Net (AFNET), the IAF would be able to take a definitive step towards Net Centric Operations. (ANI)
- Regional security extremely fragile, says IAF chief - Oct 08, 2011
- IAF's first AWACS arrives, induction Thursday - May 25, 2009
- Indian Air Force's eye in the sky arrives escorted by fighter jets - May 25, 2009
- IAF to stage exercise in Gujarat, Rajasthan - Nov 09, 2011
- Indigenous airborne radar for IAF trials soon - Sep 20, 2012
- India's second AWACS eye-in-the-sky to arrive in March - Jan 17, 2010
- IAF to induct indigenous radars - May 31, 2011
- Antony dedicates Air Force Network to the nation - Sep 14, 2010
- IAF to have data network centricity in two years - Jan 22, 2010
- India to induct Akash missiles, holds war game in northeast (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- In quest for supremacy, IAF inducts AWACS - May 28, 2009
- IAF upgrading airfields in northeast: Naik - Nov 03, 2010
- IAF's AWACS eye-in-the-sky to be inducted Tuesday - May 22, 2009
- IAF to showcase network centric operations on Republic Day - Jan 21, 2011
- IAF to induct medium-power radars (Lead, superseding previous story) - May 31, 2011
Tags: 90a, agra india, air forces, airbase, antony, awacs, defence minister, eye in the sky, force multiplier, indian air force, indian soil, intruders, jamnagar, operational capabilities, operational data, operational requirements, phalcon radar, quantum jump, signal intelligence, true force